Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine oil dipstick options >

Engine oil dipstick options

Notices

Engine oil dipstick options

Old 04-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, plastic liner with Stainless over braid and a properly supported tube ID compression joint akin to an AN fitting. No leaking and properly contained polymeric tube.
My boat doesn't have a plastic pick up tube but if it did, I'd probably be fine with it since that application does not involve typical oil temps which are the challenging aspect for thermoplastics.

To each his own but the 50 bucks it cost me to have a dipstick I know reads correctly and doesn't leak was well worth it.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I like the long dipstick my 97 454 dually has. It has the yellow pull ring, with the o ring on it. Maybe i just need to get some proper ID nylon tubing, cut to length, and use those GM dipsticks .
Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I like the long dipstick my 97 454 dually has. It has the yellow pull ring, with the o ring on it. Maybe i just need to get some proper ID nylon tubing, cut to length, and use those GM dipsticks .
I just did that with a buddy, except we used 1/4 inch copper tubing flared to the 90 degree fitting on the aluminum pan. The dipstick is from a 98 Chevy pick up with the yellow pull ring. Old dipstick was way too short, we matched up the full marks, works perfect.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

We just make our own. I buy a stick from GM for a van. I buy bulk -6 SS tubing and bend them myself with a tubing bender. I use a black anodized nut and ferrule and flare the end of the SS tubing. Our pans have a 1/4" NPT female bung. I put a 1/4" x #6 fitting in the pan. The tubing attaches to that fitting where I flared it. We then fill the pan with the correct amount of oil, cut off the excess stick, and remark it. Works great. I can post some pics if you would like.
Eddie
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
We just make our own. I buy a stick from GM for a van. I buy bulk -6 SS tubing and bend them myself with a tubing bender. I use a black anodized nut and ferrule and flare the end of the SS tubing. Our pans have a 1/4" NPT female bung. I put a 1/4" x #6 fitting in the pan. The tubing attaches to that fitting where I flared it. We then fill the pan with the correct amount of oil, cut off the excess stick, and remark it. Works great. I can post some pics if you would like.
Eddie
Please do Eddie . Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 05:33 AM
Registered

Eddie
Now that's the way to go!
Not surprised considering the source....
Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Registered

cool
Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Eddie
Thanks eddie ! Pics would be nice, but i understand what youre saying . Sounds like a good way to go