High performance piston rings >

High performance piston rings

Notices

High performance piston rings

Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
My thoughts on zero gap is the ring pack will get loaded up with oil needs a little blow by to push the oil down where it belongs. And I have run them but I would not any more did not like them. Gap rings work perfect and they use less oil and the pistons and chambers look cleaner. Plasma moly for me.
the gapless and the gapped use the same oil control rings,the ring gap plays no part in oil control.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
. Some very cool stuff and free beer at 6pm served by gorges girls. Lot of fun.
BEER IN HAND!
When in Pri was in Orlando, the free beer (packed in big coolers full of ice) was on all the buses that brought you to, from the Convention center from/to all the Hotels. No girls. LOL. Thought that was a nice touch.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Just had a thought that never dawned on me til now but last engine dyno'd we used sythetic. Ran into same issue a couple times before and typically would dyno with lighter weight conventional oil. Not saying for certain however anyone ever have same or similar with Molly rings? i believe it's certainly a possibility...
They (rings) usually say not to break in with synthetic.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i am pretty sure gm uses mobil 1 in all their high performance engines from the day they get the first fire up.i don,t think they ever see conventional oil ,at least not while they are in gm,s hands.also,the 392 in my srt challenger uses synthetic .i saw the equipment the big 3 are using to hone the cylinders with at the pri show,no independent shop could afford this equipment.the job it does is amazing,the tech is mind blowing.i remember in the 70s&80s 100000 miles on an engine and it was tired,todays engines are just getting broke in at 100000.efi,ring&honing tech has come a long way.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:07 AM
SB
Registered

Hard to say, all the vids I've seen in the plants show a cold run, and at the end before motor is crated it get's filled with Mobil one.

We need a line worker to respond. Do we have any ? LOL.

Anyway, as you said, how we assemble engines and what we use as parts can be very different from what the manufacturers do.

Here's a great vid on the Tonawanda engine plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLtZNtvc1Aw
Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
When in Pri was in Orlando, the free beer (packed in big coolers full of ice) was on all the buses that brought you to, from the Convention center from/to all the Hotels. No girls. LOL. Thought that was a nice touch.
yup,,because drunk guys will buy more stuff.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i am pretty sure gm uses mobil 1 in all their high performance engines from the day they get the first fire up.i don,t think they ever see conventional oil ,at least not while they are in gm,s hands.also,the 392 in my srt challenger uses synthetic .i saw the equipment the big 3 are using to hone the cylinders with at the pri show,no independent shop could afford this equipment.the job it does is amazing,the tech is mind blowing.i remember in the 70s&80s 100000 miles on an engine and it was tired,todays engines are just getting broke in at 100000.efi,ring&honing tech has come a long way.
are they using lasers like some if not most of the foreign companies?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Yes Budweiser and bud light the weather was much better but I think the show is better in Indy. I would rather be back in Orlando.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
They (rings) usually say not to break in with synthetic.
Had that issue once, couldn't get rings to seat with synthetic , ran dino oil for a few passes and they sealed up.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much!
Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
<<<<<<
Is that better Todd?