Superchiller water flow testing >

Superchiller water flow testing

Notices

Superchiller water flow testing

Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Superchiller water flow testing

Did some tinkering around yesterday with Icdedppl. We played with some water flow to and from my superchiller.

Teague says they want 15-20PSI at full boost, with a single -12 inlet, and two -10 outlets.

First thing we did, is test water flow from the garden hose/city water spigot. We measured 5.6 GPM of flow. Then we hooked up a fairly expensive ultilty style water pump, drawing from a water tank. We measured 16.6 GPM of water flow from it.

Then we hooked up the lines to the intercooler, along with a pressure gauge on the core. We had a single 5/8 hose on the inlet, and two 5/8 hose outlets. With the ultility pump that moved 16 GPM, we recorded 11PSI of pressure in the core. We then plugged one of the outlets, and only had a single 5/8 outlet, the pressure then rose to about 17psi.

Then we switched to the city water/garden hose setup, that was flowing 5.6GPM. We hooked that up, with the two 5/8 outlets on the back of the core. Pressure in the core, was barely 2psi.

The purpose of this test? Was to see how much water it actually takes, to get to teagues recommendation of 15-20 PSI at full boost, with the two 5/8 outlets. What I believe we found, is that it takes a CHIT TON of water to get to that. My guess is, at 20psi of psi in the core, you'd probably be moving somewhere in the area of 30 GPM, or 1800 gallons per hour thru the core.

I know theres some smart engineering guys here, that maybe can offer some insight. Lets say, that I want to get to that flow rate. If one was to use a single -12 inlet line from the pickup, I would imagine, that the water pickup, would have to be mounted pretty deep in the water, to make enough psi/velocity, to move that amount of water thru a single -12 hose. Or, can you use a 1.25 style pickup, with 1.25 style hose, to a strainer, and then two -12 lines feeding the core, without having to mount the pickup as deep in the water? Not sure if thats making sense. It seems that the single -12 line, is marginal to feed the core with, unless it has some serious velocity in the line.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i think teague wants one -12 in line because you can only move x amount of water through the core,if you try to move more water through the core it will just raise pressure in front of the core but really wont move more water through it.to simplify what i am saying,pressure is caused by resistance to flow.also the faster the boat is going the more it is trying to force the water through the pickup.the proper angle&depth of the pickup is the key.also,the deeper the pickup the more drag it will create.the best way to feed the pickup is to cut a channel in the bottom of the hull and mount the pickup above the bottom of the hull.

Last edited by mike tkach; 05-02-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i think teague wants one -12 in line because you can only move x amount of water through the core,if you try to move more water through the core it will just raise pressure in front of the core but really wont move more water through it.to simplify what i am saying,pressure is caused by resistance to flow.
That was kinda what we were trying to determine. How much water can the core itself move. From what we seen, it can move a ton of water. Keith Eickert wants TWO -12 lines going in, and two -12 going out through their intercooler. Blower shop said two -12's going in.

Guess what I am saying, is that the outlet lines, are a no brainer to plumb. You need to get to 15-20psi, with those size outlets. The only variance is , the source feeding the intercooler. From what dan and I saw, feeding it with a setup flowing close to 1,000 gallons per hour, we still were only seeing 11psi in the core. Obviously going with smaller lines of the back of the intercooler, would increase psi and reduce flow, I understand that, and def dont want to do that.

we even checked the flow rate after the water flowed thru the intercooler, and it barely changed if any. Seems that the core/housing, is capable of a lot of water. I was skeptical on installing intercoolers, and kind of want to make sure its plumbed properly, so it can do its job. I plan on installing a psi gauge on the core to dial in the water psi once in the boat.

Did have the engine idling on the hose yesterday for a while. With no water thru the intercooler, the intake temps were about 95 degrees. Turned the water on, and they dropped to around 88-89 degrees at idle. It was a cool day, only about 50 degrees outside
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really need two pressure sensor before and after the cooler to see if the restriction is in the outlet hose or the cooler it self.

You can move water to fast and not give it a chance to cool the alum plates in the cooler.

If you have ever seen a car run hotter with out a t-stat this is why. Cant remember the engineering term for it off the top of my head but there is one.

Along with two pressure sensor, two thermocouples would help in knowing if you need more or less water flow.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbom700

You can move water to fast and not give it a chance to cool the alum plates in the cooler.

If you have ever seen a car run hotter with out a t-stat this is why. Cant remember the engineering term for it off the top of my head but there is one.

I think the reason cars ran hotter with no stat, is because the water cant stay in the radiator long enough to cool, but that is a recirculation system. In that , you are trying to cool the water, which cools the engine. With the intercooler, you're not trying to cool the water, you're trying to cool the air. The water source is infinite.

Whipples big daddy coolers, have HUGE inlets and outlets. The blower shop units, have two 3/4 NPT inlets and outlets, teague now sells 3/4 NPT end caps, that they call their "hi flow" caps, to move more water. I've seen some big power procharger stuff, with custom built intercoolers, using 1.25" hose to feed the intercooler from a pickup. Seems the general consensus is, move as much water as possible thru the core.

I think the reason Teague gives a recommendation of 15-20psi of pressure in the core, along with their plumbing instructions for line size, is that there is a variable, and thats the water source differs on the install. Just because you have a -12 coming in, and two -10's going out, doesn't mean you are moving the amount of water they want you to move for the core to do its job. That setup can have 2psi, or 20psi. If the line size isn't changed, the core isnt changed, and everything is the same, the setup with 20psi on the gauge, simply has to be moving more water thru the core. I believe their spec of 20psi, is to ensure you are moving enough water. To do so, the pickup height, or supply, has to be dialed in.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbom700
Really need two pressure sensor before and after the cooler to see if the restriction is in the outlet hose or the cooler it self.

With two outlets off the core, the psi was 11psi. By simply plugging one of them, the psi jumped to 17psi in the core. That told me the core itself, is not the restriction, the single outlet line, was.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered

when teague recomends 20 lbs max pressure i believe it is so the core does not get damaged from over pressuring it and bursting the water tubes in the core.even if you put a 5 inch fire hose into the front of the cooler the core will only move x amount of water.what i believe is even if you put 10 -12 lines from 10 different pickups,the core can still only move x amount of water but the pressure would be sky high and the drag from the 9 extra pickups would act like an anchor,teague did not guess on what works but did a lot of testing when he aquired the chillers from pfm.we must keep in mind what the water is doing in the core,whipple has a monster cooler with 2 cores for serious applications.another thing to think about is the water temp.the chiller will be more efficent in 65 deg lake water vs 90 deg river water.the drag race guys run ice water through their coolers.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

i have a question,if you feed the sea strainer with one -12 line and run two -12 lines from the strainer to the chiller are you moving twice the water because you have two lines feeding the chiller?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
With two outlets off the core, the psi was 11psi. By simply plugging one of them, the psi jumped to 17psi in the core. That told me the core itself, is not the restriction, the single outlet line, was.
i believe the two -10 lines exiting the core is to not create extra pressure in the core,pressure does not cool the core,water flow cools the core.the resistance to flow is something we can not change in the core but we can control the pressure by using the correct size inlet&outlet hoses.when i plumbed the chillers on both of my boats i followed teauge,s procedure because i am pretty sure he did better real world testing than i could do.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i believe the two -10 lines exiting the core is to not create extra pressure in the core,pressure does not cool the core,water flow cools the core.the resistance to flow is something we can not change in the core but we can control the pressure by using the correct size inlet&outlet hoses.when i plumbed the chillers on both of my boats i followed teauge,s procedure because i am pretty sure he did better real world testing than i could do.
I think you are missing what I am getting at mike. Im not saying teague's plumbing is wrong. He clearly says in the instructions, that at FULL BOOST, he wants to see 15-20psi of pressure, with the plumbing of lines he recommends. Right from his website.

Water pressure in the SuperChiller is required to achieve the heat transfer that creates the performance increase. It is important to maintain 15 to 20 PSI in the intercooler when the blower is making maximum boost. Never exceed 30 PSI or damage to the Superchiller and/or engine may occur

So, just because you followed his plumbing instructions, without putting a psi gauge on the core, its really a guess how much water you are actually flowing. I'm not suggesting putting a fire hose to the front of the intercooler, I understand it can only move so much water. but, the pickup style, depth, and overall setup, can have a big impact on how much water is flowing.

For those that have followed teagues instructions, has anyone followed them properly, and checked the actual pressure in the core, to ensure that there is enough volume of water being fed to it? If so, how did you plumb the feed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.