Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Questions about coupler/motor mounts/alignment >

Questions about coupler/motor mounts/alignment

Notices

Questions about coupler/motor mounts/alignment

Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Derek - IT IS a rubber mount and you are telling me it can't sag. You might want to rethink that comment.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if they do sag ,you replace them
Old 05-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

they don't sell shims for them. there is no acceptable procedure to adjust them. if they sag and you shim them, they will just keep sagging.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

For the last 25 years ALL of my boats have the rear mounts locked down so they can't move. Just because they don't sell shims doesn't mean that it can't be shimmed.

I didn't tell him to shim it IF it had sagged - I told him to watch out for a sagged rear engine mount.

WHY is it that you guys like to flame people that are just trying to help others?
Just because You have never seen it before yourself doesn't mean that it cant happen.
I deal with weird stuff all of the time.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I have never heard about shimming, but I don't see everything, so I did some research. It appears, that there are some shims and mentions of shims in some various Mercruiser publications.

I did not fully read, nor spend the time to understand which applications and or reasons or etc, but they are out there. The search I did was , in bold,
mercruiser bellhousing optional spacer kit if anyone wants to do further searching.

I did find this interesting, in one of the rear mount set ups if one forgets to install the lockwasher washer that is in with fibre washer: http://www.amarket.com/helpmts.htm
10) When the bolt is tightened the inside tube of the rubber mount is clamped by the spacer above and the lock washer below. This is in a certain height to produce the rear alignment of the engine. if the lockwasher is missing the engine rear is low and causes almost immediate failure of the teeth of the coupler. If the upper spacer is left out the upper washer is jammed against the mount defeating it and causing vibration. If the spacer is missing but the washer is also missing the motor operates normally but there is no upper limit to stop the motor from ripping itself off of the mount. If the fiber washer is missing the motor could make a clunking noise if torqued downward on that side.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Registered

SB - thank you

The proof is right there in writing.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
WHY is it that you guys like to flame people that are just trying to help others?
Just because You have never seen it before yourself doesn't mean that it cant happen.
I deal with weird stuff all of the time.
I dont come on here and start...conflicts-usually. But it sounded like you were instructing somebody to do non-standard alterations that were over his head and could-would cause bad things to happen. I have been reading your posts for years. You obviously know what you are talking about. I am not trying to make enemies here.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Registered

Neither am I - I guess you just misunderstood my intentions. I just told him to LOOK for sagged rear mounts, This has been a sore subject for me. I got flamed years ago when I brought this subject up and the resident MERC " expert " said that I was wrong and it wasn't possible. I tried to explain how it IS a real problem on older boats. BUT no one would listen. I did have one person PM me agreeing with me. I am just a back yard guy that does ALL of his own work and helps others with oddball problems. About the only thing I hire out is big gellcoat or paint work. I help people when I can even if it costs me time and $.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An update... Put on a new coupler and still have the same problem. I can get the alignment perfect, but then when I rotate the crankshaft 90/180/270 it is way off. I followed the procedure for installing the coupler per the merc service bulletin. I then pulled the engine back out again and checked the runout on the flywheel and it is within spec. Checked runout on crankshaft where the flywheel mounts and the most I got was 0.0015. I also checked the runout on the coupler where the steel hub sticks out and the most I got was 0.005. I'm just so confused about this......
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the flywheel wasn't seated correctly, but I doubt it as I did torque it down to spec which should seat it. I didn't check the runout on the flywheel until I removed it and re-installed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.