Notices

Drive trim

Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hi jack this thread, but I have a very similar problem. My problem started out as intermittent a few years ago, but now doesn’t work at all. My single trim switch on my throttles that work both drives now will only lower both drives and just raise the port side only. The individual port drive switch on the dash for raising and lowering that drive works. The individual starboard switch only lowers the drive but will not raise it either like the switch on the throttles. . My trailer switch on the dash raises both drives simultaneously. After chasing wires behind the dash to all the switches I think the culprit is a male and female electrical junction connector that joins about 6 wires together. When I was wiggling the connector it ended cutting power to the drive switches that worked originally. I took the connector apart tried cleaning it and got a few momentary responses where the starboard drive started raising, but then quit all together again. So as of now I feel that’s the issue and will make all new connections to those wires under the dash. I never thought about the trim limit switch though, which is a very good idea to check that was mentioned on here.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:13 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by johnny b good
Sorry to hi jack this thread, but I have a very similar problem. My problem started out as intermittent a few years ago, but now doesn’t work at all. My single trim switch on my throttles that work both drives now will only lower both drives and just raise the port side only. The individual port drive switch on the dash for raising and lowering that drive works. The individual starboard switch only lowers the drive but will not raise it either like the switch on the throttles. . My trailer switch on the dash raises both drives simultaneously. After chasing wires behind the dash to all the switches I think the culprit is a male and female electrical junction connector that joins about 6 wires together. When I was wiggling the connector it ended cutting power to the drive switches that worked originally. I took the connector apart tried cleaning it and got a few momentary responses where the starboard drive started raising, but then quit all together again. So as of now I feel that’s the issue and will make all new connections to those wires under the dash. I never thought about the trim limit switch though, which is a very good idea to check that was mentioned on here.
When you use the trailer switch you bypass the trim limit switch and the wiring that goes through the transom out to the switch. Easy test would be to disconnect the bullet connectors that go to the trim limit switch and test
Old 05-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
When you use the trailer switch you bypass the trim limit switch and the wiring that goes through the transom out to the switch. Easy test would be to disconnect the bullet connectors that go to the trim limit switch and test
Thank you, I will rule this out next.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Really - IF you don't own or know how to use a volt meter it might be a good idea to let the experts fix electrical problems. Because if you do the wrong thing you just might damage more than the cost to have someone else fix it. These are SIMPLE problems for someone with the right skills. A mechanic should be able to fix both of your problems inside of an hour.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

First... make sure your test light WORKS! I once spent an hour trying to find a short.. I tried checking everything 3 times thru a battery charger on it so I knew I had power but nothing under the dash, I was going nuts... then i figured out I had power, it was just that the bulb in the test light was dead....... I won the moron of the year awards for that one.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ONLY THE YEAR ???

Just kidding.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. We ended up getting it trimmed about a quarter of the way out and just ran it that way for the weekend. Will look into the issue further after tickfaw.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounded like he was firing the solenoids, not jumping across the top. The most common is the solenoid. Next most common is wiring thru the transom assy.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Slight test light sidetrack also. I have two of these (1 at work, 1 at home). Love'm !
Figured I'd post this in case no one has heard of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUsYeNVaWpQ
Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SB
Slight test light sidetrack also. I have two of these (1 at work, 1 at home). Love'm !
Figured I'd post this in case no one has heard of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUsYeNVaWpQ
Pickup a power probe and you wont ever reach for a test light again, i have the 3 https://www.pricefalls.com/product/p...FYSDaQodi_AFBw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.