Notices

Antifreeze

Old 09-26-2002, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Antifreeze

That is enough out of you Phantom!!!! I am wondering what everyone uses for antifreeze when they winterize. I have always used the car stuff from the local mechanic. I get the used stuff that he can not put back in cars and just put it in my winterizer tank. I hear that the pink stuff that you get from like Boat US does not really keep the block from freezing? With the automotive stuff in there I actually DO NOT drain the block. I just leave it in there and that way it will lubricate the seals and keep the block from rusting over the 5 1/2 winter months . Any thoughts?

Jon
Old 09-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats how I always do it. Never had a problem in 20 + yrs.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too. In spring I drain them and collect the stuff into the left over gallon jugs and use it again next year.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

The pink stuff freezes. It just does not expand. You also need to get most of the water out if you used it.
I've always used the automotive stuff. That include for -30 degree Minnesota winters.
Gary
Old 09-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone round and round on this subject. -50 Pink a/f has a freeze point of +12 degrees, and burst protection (for a copper pipe or engine block) of -50. It will slush at freeze point, but is safe. It must be used full strength, with no water (drain everything first) to be effective. You could always use -100, but that is about $8 a gallon versus $3. Bottom line, there are many different methods and opinions on winterizing, and which a/f to use. If you do use the pink stuff, I would buy a propel gyl. tester to test the stuff first. Have fun.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:02 AM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I hate this subject.

Can anyone tell me how many gallons of antifreeze are needed to winterize a BB (454)? I was going to put it in a 5 gallon bucket and run it through with the muffs on the drives.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would usually run about 8-10 gal. of pink stuff (just to be sure!) thru the engine after draining it. But I also had an intercooler to protect.....
$30.00 per winter for a safe block & coolers is cheap enough.... this year goint to be double for twins
Old 09-26-2002, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Here's what I do:
1. Buy four gallons of antifreeze from parts store
2. Get two 5 gallon pails
3. Dump one gallon in and then add 1 gallon of water- do this twice.
4. Same thing again in other bucket
5. You now have eight gallons of 50/50 mix
6. Hook up muffs to drive, start boat and run til you suck both pails empty
7. Park it and forget it til spring.

P.S. This is the LAST step in winterizing. Make sure you change oil, fog motor,stabilize gas, etc before installing A/F mix.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

Slightly different procedure. This way I dont have to worry about water pockets or thermostat.

Drain blocks and manifolds and reclose
Remove suction hose from elbow on inner transom plate and bring hose up as high as you can.
Attach funnel (big) to hose.
Fill funnel with AF while cranking engine, or at idle(remote starter)until it comes out back.
Pull sparkplugs, squirt oil in cylinders and crank over and reinstall plugs.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bigwave, you forgot the most important step, the engines must be up to operating temperature (thermostats open) before using this procedure. Otherwise, the block does not receive any antifreeze...........not good!!!!

I used to do the muff thing you are talking about but I would lay awake at night in the middle of January in Upstate New York wondering if my concetration was good...............all I could here in my head was the telltale "tink" of cast iron fracturing

I don't do it anymore, just drain everything real good, remembering to probe the holes, then pour a little antifreeze in the open hoses just to make myself feel better. Draining completely is the best procedure for me, I rest easier!!

Quick Reply: Antifreeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.