BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake >

BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake

Notices

BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake

Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The way ive understood it, is the 305 is an as cast head, offered with a partial cnc port, which is basically a cnc chamber.

The 315, is a fully cnc ported version, of the 305 casting.

The 325cc head, is avail as cast, or as cast with cnc chamber.

The 335cc,is a full cnc ported version of the 325 casting.
That is exactly correct!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I was not aware AFR made an as cast, 335cc runner head? I thought the 335cc head, was a cnc ported version, of the 325cc "as cast" head.
Typo - they are 325
Old 09-30-2016, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
Nice results on that 540! (and the 588). I assume you mean the old Victor Ram 2r's? That seems to be the power levels, and above of course, where the NEW victor ram intake, along with the dart and profiler, really works. Guys on asphalt then go turn that same 540ci to 8,000 rpm for 1000+hp etc, which is a good clue that those intakes are too large for the sub 6,000 rpm 540 crowd, which is why I choose the 35 year old victor ram 2R - that was designed when smaller cubed motors were more prevalent. The fact that the older ram did so well at your power level backs up my concerns that it's on the large size for my needs, at less rpm and only 700ish hp - but maybe not - only one way to find out.

Another problem seems to be finding a used one that has not had the runners gasket matched up to 2.45x1.72 or larger - I need them uncut to match up with the non-CNC'd AFR 325 ports (AFR's website even says don't gasket match the intake for these heads). I assume the reason for using the uncut 325's at this power level is that they flow at the same velocity as the CNC'd smaller port heads, yet cost less - pretty smart move I thought (Bob, not me). I'll probably have to go new on the intake, but i've got plenty of time to look.
The 588 with the Dart 355 head was way down on power. Should have been closer to the 950-975 range. the intake and the cam were not optimal. Still not a bad motor but when you buy used parts that aren't the proper fit for the combination you get what you get.