exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut  questions >

exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut questions

Notices

exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut questions

Old 05-20-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm still wondering... not reversion, just condensation on the elbow and running down, and maybe some condensation from the exh manifold itself.
Or,
Reversion also, just happens to condense on the elbow where the cool water comes in because i ALWAYS SEE THE DROPLETS ON THE FRONT CURVED SIDE OF THE ELBOWS AFTER SHUTTING DOWN AFTER IDLING. i'll see if i have pics of it.

I am putting in the alum extension tubes today/tomorrow with the slash cut which i've already cut. after that i could try a flare but would have to get some type of alum flare made for this 3" alum tube.

As some of you have mentioned, i think the next step would be to add a dump hose and dump much of the water from the manifold 1" hoses.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Just a note - these were taken after the droplets had dried out leaving this residue. The wall of the elbow is wet when i first shut it off, before drying out.

another pic of the elbow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555761[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut  questions-water-droplets-elbow-after-dried-out.jpg   exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut  questions-spark-plug-water-threads-inside-seat-condensation-reversion.jpg  

Last edited by Cap'm Kurt; 05-21-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555799[/ATTACH]

alum extension temporarily added to the elbow as far back as could go up to the flapper supports.

view from rear.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555800[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut  questions-aluminum-exhaust-extension-tubes-added-elbows-.jpg   exhaust elbow tube extensions - slash cut  questions-aluminum-exhaust-extension-tubes-added-elbows3-view-end-exhaust-.jpg  
Old 05-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

well folks, it did not work with the 1 ft longer exh tubes. Water still on plug threads. Had puddling of water in the manifold too on the front two cylinders.

I still have bad condensation on the front wall of the elbow.
Beginning to think maybe this is just bad condensation and maybe not reversion.

Last edited by Cap'm Kurt; 05-21-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Anybody ever installed hoses, etc., for this warm manifold system vs the standard Mercruiser cold water manifold to stop condensation??

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/unc...d-and-checking

Here is one article from that site on condensation I reprinted below.
Condensation – This is probably the most misunderstood and commonly mis-diagnosed issue within this overall water ingestion/intrusion umbrella. In a general sense condensation in and of itself does not seem to be a failure inducing problem on its own, however when taken in context with the overall environment and operating conditions this issue rises to the top as a problem. Warm manifold versus cold manifold systems seem to be the best overall approach to the exhaust system. The primary function is that they route only engine heated and thermostat controlled water through the exhaust manifolds, while then routing the excess cooling water not needed by the engine overboard through the exhaust risers. This then allows the manifolds to run at 160 F in most cases which exceeds the 120 F thresh hold where condensation becomes an issue. While the larger surface area of the exhaust manifolds is now heated while the surface area of the riser is cold but a much smaller surface area in comparison. The other notable benefit with warm manifold cooling systems is that the additional heat in the manifolds not only prevents condensation but also burns out any moisture that may be present due to gasket leakage, reversion, etc. Mercruiser also utilized the exhaust turbulator on the 496 mag marine engines as a preventative measure for controlling condensation when a warm manifold cooling system was not achievable. Prior to the time that the Dry Joint systems were introduced on the V6 and Small V8 Marine Engines, Mercruiser did develop a retrofit kit which offered a Turbulator Plate to be used with the existing Wet Joint style exhaust systems. If you’ve had any related issues with Water Ingestion or Condensation we would recommend using these Turbulator’s to help deal with the issue.

Last edited by Cap'm Kurt; 05-22-2016 at 12:16 PM.