Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
is this a good cam/set up for my 454? >

is this a good cam/set up for my 454?

Notices

is this a good cam/set up for my 454?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

The carb will work, but it's not optimal, the cam has to go, and if you want a performance cam, you need a better exhaust. Look for a used set of Gil's. They will be your best bang for your buck. Stainless Marine, Dana, EMI will also work if you find a good deal. Plan on $1000 for a good complete set. Others will have a better opinion on the cam, but first you need to find out what you have for heads.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright thanks guys. Tomorrows project will be figuring out what heads it has. I'm hoping I'm mistaken but pretty sure they just sucked at this build.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Let this be a lesson to you//// JimBob's cousin Earl should not be building your motors in his shop, err woodshed no matter how good of a deal he gives you...
Old 05-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Registered

Hahaha right. Glad it was the last owner who ate the bill on this one. Sadly I will be the one fixing the crap job. At least I will know it will be done right when it's finished. The worst part is a local marine/machine shop did the build. Guess who I'm not ever going to use.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

Are you positive that the info you gave on the cam is correct?
Old 05-19-2016, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quickest and cheapest way to be on the water next week would be to change the cam to something that will work with the stock exhaust and find a good used high rise dual plane intake. Use the carb and flamearrester you have. $500 bucks should do it. Go out and have fun this summer. Next winter take the engine completely down and see just what parts you do have.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
No kidding- Everything is off. I sure hope they didn't put a rectangle intake on an oval port head. The kicker is the stock exhaust on this combo.
Believe it or not this used to be done quite often in the past. Supposedly made a lot of low end torque. Google up rectangular port intake with oval port heads and there are tons of testimonies.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Are you positive that the info you gave on the cam is correct?
I have yet to physically see the cam but that's the number listed after the camshaft on the parts sheet
Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Quickest and cheapest way to be on the water next week would be to change the cam to something that will work with the stock exhaust and find a good used high rise dual plane intake. Use the carb and flamearrester you have. $500 bucks should do it. Go out and have fun this summer. Next winter take the engine completely down and see just what parts you do have.
I think this will be my plan. Wife won't be happy if the first summer we have it it is just a paper weight.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Any chance they put some higher compression pistons in it?

Lets say it was a 10:1 454, 850 double pumper , single plane edelbrock intake, 244/254 112 cam, it might not be totally horrible. I do agree though, that is alot of cam for a 454, unless of course, you were going to be spinning it fairly hard rpm wise. Def not 5k rpm max. is there any water in the oil from reversion? How did it run on the test ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.