Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Filling Outdrive with Gear Oil using pressure? >

Filling Outdrive with Gear Oil using pressure?

Notices

Filling Outdrive with Gear Oil using pressure?

Old 05-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Filling Outdrive with Gear Oil using pressure?

I fill my bravo ones from the lower drain plug with a pump up garden sprayer.

I just hook up the sprayer and pump it up, filling the drive all the way up through the drive and into the reservoir bottle in the bilge until it hits the 'full' mark on the bottle. Is this OK to do? Any reasons not to do this?

Some say to just fill the drive up to the upper plug and then fill the reservoir from the top, but that tends to introduce a lot of air and i have to refill the reservoir for the first half of the season.

When i do my bottom up fill, i dont have to refill as much.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Filling from the bottom is actually the correct methond per the manual.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Filling from the bottom is actually the correct methond per the manual.
^^^ This.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.

I just hook up the sprayer and pump it up, filling the drive all the way up through the drive and into the reservoir bottle in the bilge until it hits the 'full' mark on the bottle. Is this OK to do? Any reasons not to do this?

Some say to just fill the drive up to the upper plug and then fill the reservoir from the top, but that tends to introduce a lot of air and i have to refill the reservoir for the first half of the season.

Exactly how I've done it for years, with the exception that I only fill till the res bottle get an inch or so in them and then I top them off after reinstalling the bottom plug.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

This!
Originally Posted by Griff
Exactly how I've done it for years, with the exception that I only fill till the res bottle get an inch or so in them and then I top them off after reinstalling the bottom plug.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.

I do it with a sprayer bottle all the time, from bottom up, and to an inch or so from full line, then top off during 1st run. Probably 15+ yrs on many boats a year, including mine. Pressure going thru is minimal and having the cap off removes this anyway. PLus, when the outdrive spins, especially high rpm, it will go under a bunch of psi.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The actual version listed in the current Bravo Service manuals lists as according.

Unscrew completely off the drive res cap - make sure o ring is still under cap.

Place drive complete level, - then fill from the bottom up with gear oil until solid stream of gear oil flows out the vent plug.

Install Vent plug screw and use a new o ring seal

then continue to fill UNTIL you see a good portion of gear oil in the bottle / reservoir.

Stop then add gear oil to the fill mark. Uninstall pump - install drain plug screw with new o ring seal. Let sit recheck level and fill to full mark. Then reinstall cap making sure O ring is in the cap.

My self after tthat point will go crack the vent plug screw until a small solid amount of gear oil comes out to help purge remaining air then retighten vent plug screw . re check to see level of gear oil in the bottle - top off if needed. This way all the air is purged.

Last edited by BUP; 05-20-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

The cheap little plastic pump sucks ...
Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys are using one of these? http://smile.amazon.com/Smith-Contra...s=pump+sprayer

I have the hand pump that fits the 2.5 gal bottle and it takes about 80 pumps to fill a drive and bottle.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The cheap little plastic pump sucks ...
Yeah but for us old fcks its like going to the gym, lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.