First time poster with possible spun hub >

First time poster with possible spun hub

Notices

First time poster with possible spun hub

Old 05-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time poster with possible spun hub

Hi guys , new here to post but I've been reading for awhile. I recently bought a checkmate 253 with a 502. First real boat. Second day out my friend is helping me back out and I hit a random metal pipe sticking out by the dock. Not his fault he didn't see it. Anyways got the prop redone. It's a 4 blade 23 pitch. First day out in it. I hit 66 on gps at I think 5000 rpm. First day , all new to me so I wasn't really watching all the dials. Now I hit 60 at 4000pm. I used a prop calculator and apparently it's off 7% which isn't bad. i also looked at my hub. The hard rubber isn't broken but there's cracks in it. Like its split. (If I new how to post pictures I would). So boat roughly topped out at 60 at 4200 and it was cruising at 40 at 3000. Could it be my hub ? Or maybe it's my rpm gauge off. It's a stock motor and the guy before told me it went 65 topped out. So I'm not that far off. Thanks for the help guys. I just want my boat to be running at 100%

Last edited by Valdez; 05-20-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

ONGRATS ON THE BOAT. Simply make a mark on the rubber hub and a correlating mark on the prop itself. Run it a little (in the water) and check for proper alignment of marks. If they are still aligned, all OK. If they loose alignment you have a $75 problem. That simple. Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:25 PM
Registered

Glenamy , thanks for the quick reply. Would this problem make it not be able to spin past 4200 ? I will try that out in the morning. To me it seems like if it was slipping , it would rev to the moon.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

To me it seems like if it was slipping , it would rev to the moon.
Ayuh,... Generally speakin', if the prop hub slips, you won't go much faster than displacement speeds,....

Yer lack of rpms is something else,....

Change the fuel filter, 'n inspect the contents of the old one for anything other than clean fresh gasoline,....
Old 05-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Sounds, to me, like something changed when the prop was repaired.

Padraig
Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Registered

I will change the fuel and oil filter today. Prop is fixed back to new. Looks great ! Guy who does it is known in this area. I had to drive pretty far. To hit 60-62 at 4000rpm is pretty good for this boat. I've been looking on here etc and the 253 stock should go about 65-68 people say. So I'm not far off and my cruise seems to be right on. Water looks flat today... Can't wait to "test" the boat. First true weekend of summer up here in Montreal ! Thanks guys