Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Installing a dual relay assembly to speed up my actuator (confused on switch wiring) >

Installing a dual relay assembly to speed up my actuator (confused on switch wiring)

Notices

Installing a dual relay assembly to speed up my actuator (confused on switch wiring)

Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installing a dual relay assembly to speed up my actuator (confused on switch wiring)

Hi guys. I've picked up a Cole Hersee 24452-BX dual reversing relay to help my hatch actuator. The actual wiring of the relay seems obvious but what I don't completely understand is the wiring at the switch. I currently have a DPDT switch on the dash with 6 terminals on the back.
I've seen here and elsewhere that I can install a SPDT switch at the dash but not sure what the wiring should be. I've also seen where I can just continue to use my existing DPDT switch and just pull the hot lead off of it but I'm struggling to understand that approach.

Can someone help me get this through my thick head? If possible, I would prefer to keep the DPDT as it's only a handful of months old but if necessary, I'll find a SPDT. Thanks a bunch!......john

Last edited by JohnRork; 06-06-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Obviously not enough coffee
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

You can use your existing switch...your just only gonna use one side of it...the other side will be unhooked is all
As for wiring i'd need to see what the relay calls for...i'm not familiar with that relay...but just looking at a picture online of the back of one on eBay....looks like you will be just using your existing switch on the dash....run 12v+ to the center pin of the switch and connect the top/bottom pins of the switch to terminal T5 and T6 on the relay.... terminals M1 and M3 go to your hatch motor...and T2 and T4 get straight battery juice.....with a fuse or circuit breaker inline on the +feed line....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered

Thanks so very much Wally. Your description of the wiring to the bacl sounds lik what I recall as well but will double check tonight after work.
As far as the switch, if I recall correctly the 2 center pins have a 12v feed and a ground. Then the 2 top pins are jumpered together and the 2 bottom pins are jumpered together. To just use one side, I remove those jumpers and run one wire to the too and one wire to the bottom??? Does that sound correct? Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated
Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

yes....your 12v+ will go tot he center pin on one side of the switch...and then the top/bottom pins above the one you just used are the only ones hooked up to....the other side of the switch will be empty....consider them spares in case the switch ever breaks!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Registered

Hah!!! That sounds like a plan. Thanks again Wally. Take care......john
Old 06-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hooked up mine yesterday. He's what I used.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a dual relay assembly to speed up my actuator (confused on switch wiring)-20160516_053741.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for the picture. This week has sucked and I haven't had a chance to get it installed. Looks like this weekend and I'll certainly report back (good and bad). Thanks again everybody
Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Registered

WOW!!!! This made a MASSIVE difference! I was thinking that maybe my actuator was failing. Hooking this up like how Wally suggested made my actuator screaming fast! What a huge difference and I would highly recommend it to those that are thinking about it. Thanks again everyone from the help and support