Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
clear (dry or glazed) plug fouling???  Stumped.... >

clear (dry or glazed) plug fouling??? Stumped....

Notices

clear (dry or glazed) plug fouling??? Stumped....

Old 06-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
What kills me here, is that is the main reason of using a MSD box. Enough power to fire off crappy condition plugs. Almost makes you wonder how the grounds are ? Do you knowhow many engines I find with the heads threaded holes that are used for grounds full of paint ? People love there paint !

I typically go one step further, and run a ground from the other cylinder head to that stud also, ust to make sure everythings grounded well. Clean those grounds ! Especially the threaded hole that you are grounding too. This goes for alternator brackets and their bolts and threaded attachment points.
alternator needs a separate ground wire, even with clean bolt holes & attachments. I broke a ground wire and still burned up the alt. Checking the resistance from the case to ground, it was 0.1 ohms. Checking voltage drop with engine running, it was 2.5 volts
Old 06-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apollard
alternator needs a separate ground wire, even with clean bolt holes & attachments. I broke a ground wire and still burned up the alt. Checking the resistance from the case to ground, it was 0.1 ohms. Checking voltage drop with engine running, it was 2.5 volts
I will also check the alt as you recommend here. Along with all wires, power and ground, cap, rotor, coil......

What I still can't get my head wrapped around is that both engines have the exact same problem at the exact same time and the same band-aid gets me going again. If it is in the ignition, what are the chances of the fault happening to both engines at the same time? And it is almost predictable after happening multiple times now. I would guess I can go out one more time and be fine, but after that I will probably have a failure (seems every 3rd outing).
Old 06-09-2016, 01:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

This may fix it

Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

When it does act up have you pulled the air cleaner to see if it squirts fuel, before changing plugs
Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
When it does act up have you pulled the air cleaner to see if it squirts fuel, before changing plugs
Yep, first thing I do is pull the flame arrestor looking for dribbling venturis or stuck needle/seat. And yes, fuel squirts when I push on the acc pump. I have fuel pressure gauges on the dash and they read right at 7 psi all the time.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Well, I guess Im gonna need to come take a look and see if we can figure it out
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
....also reversion will cause the exact symptoms you described.
This seems plausible. Anything new with the exhaust?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
This seems plausible. Anything new with the exhaust?
You know what.... I put on Gibson bullet clamp on mufflers. I need to quiet this thing down to be legal here. Son of Biotch, I bet that is my problem. I have CMI sport tube headers with dry tails, but the water sees the mufflers.

I can idle all day long. Can I get reversion at cruising RPM? I really thought if I were to have reversion problems, it would occur at idle. And /or occur every time I come off plane to an idle.

I guess I will go LOUD for a while and see what happens. SH!T
Old 06-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

reversion usually happens at idle so if you can idle for long periods that,s most likly not it.espically with dry tails.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

with the extra length of the muffler,s are the tips under water- when ideling or stopping after on plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.