496 ho surging/rough idle >

496 ho surging/rough idle

Notices

496 ho surging/rough idle

Old 06-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 ho surging/rough idle

I had a fuel injector get stuck open in my 03 496 ho so I decided to replace them all with Delphi 25348180 injertors because I was told they are the ones that come in it from mercrusier. So after I replaced them and fired it up and at idle rpms the motor surges up and down with a air sucking sound. I have no faults so any idea what I should try or is that just a normal thing.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Registered

A small amount of surging is normal (in my experience) as the IAC cycles. This is more noticeable audibly than actually seeing a rpm fluctuation on the gauge.

My 2001 system did not have a muffler (small piece of foam material) in the throttle body at the IAC air intake opening and it does make some audible noise, again varying with the cycling of the IAC. I have purchased one of these mufflers but have not tried it yet.

Now, if the performance is different than it was prior to changing the injectors, then you may have an issue. Is that all you changed?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered

Yes that was all I've changed. I was getting a code saying that injertor 6 was open now that I replaced them the code went away. I haven't had a chance to run the boat in the water yet I only hooked it up to the hose.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Registered

Well, a bad injector will certainly cause all sorts of idling issues. Perhaps you've just gotten it back to the way it should be.

Again, I am saying that a very small amount of "hunting" on the idle seems to be normal in my experience. I am not implying that missing or roughness or surging over several hundred rpm is correct.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Are you sure you didn't cut a seal putting them in? Sounds a bit like the IAC is trying to compensate for a lean issue.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

IAC could be going bad. Also the cylinder that you had the injector stuck open, you could have fouled the plug so bad, it doesn't clean up and could be bad. If the Injector was stuck open it was dumping fuel on that cylinder. It most likely was dumping it for a while before it completely got stuck open. I would pull the plug and check it out. IAC is also a possibility, they don't seem to be lasting as long as they once did. Good luck
Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

They used 2 different style of Delphi injectors for the 496 depending on engine number serial runs ---- they used a pintle 3 hole and a pintle 2 hole and yes it matters which one you use for idle quality and the rest of of the throttle range for running quality.

With that said have no idea what yours takes without an engine serial number and have no idea how the person that sold you these 100 % gave you the correct ones without it either.

Also if you bought these injectors off the net its a 50 / 50 chance that they are cheap knock offs junk injectors that will never flow correctly. Very common today with fuel injectors advertised on the net and or ebay.

Possible your running issue is not injector related but a scan would help pin point the area for the problem. Possible IAC problem along with a real dirty intake tract system.

Do you have DTS if so NO IAC and NO IAC muffler have no idea info from your end is missing exactly what have and engine serial number.

Last edited by BUP; 06-10-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
They used 2 different style of Delphi injectors for the 496 depending on engine number serial runs ---- they used a pintle 3 hole and a pintle 2 hole and yes it matters which one you use for idle quality and the rest of of the throttle range for quality.

With that said have no idea what yours takes without an engine serial number and have no idea how the person that sold you these 100 % gave you the correct ones without it either.

Also if you bought these injectors off the net its a 50 / 50 chance that they are cheap knock offs junk injectors that will never flow correctly. Very common today with fuel injectors advertised on the net and or ebay.

Possible your running issue is not injector related but a scan would help pin point the area for the problem.
My motor is the 0m025400 and I bought the injertors from ausinjertors.com
Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
They used 2 different style of Delphi injectors for the 496 depending on engine number serial runs ---- they used a pintle 3 hole and a pintle 2 hole and yes it matters which one you use for idle quality and the rest of of the throttle range for running quality.

Possible your running issue is not injector related but a scan would help pin point the area for the problem. Possible IAC problem along with a real dirty intake tract system.

Do you have DTS if so NO IAC and NO IAC muffler have no idea info from your end is missing exactly what have and engine serial number.
I have a Mercruiser scan tool to get the readings but I can't start the boat out the water pump is out of it I have to replace it and the new one is not yet here.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ok from the scan tool what is IAC PWM % at dead idle fully warmed engine - what is it when key on only non running engine but warmed up ??? and what is from a cold engine with key on and at start up ?

Whats your tps voltage ?

Whats your MAP readings

whats your fuel pressure(s) readings

Last edited by BUP; 06-10-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.