Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Add on steering issue. Please help! >

Add on steering issue. Please help!

Notices

Add on steering issue. Please help!

Old 06-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add on steering issue. Please help!

I bought an add on hydro setup used off of a member on here. The system is mint and complete, it is a WPM kit. I installed the kit and from then on I have had nothing but issues. I installed the kit word for word, I also replaced the helm, and steering cable all the way back. The issue now is the wheel is hard to turn, and seems to hit "dead" spots where I need both hands to un free it. Does anybody have any idea what to try next? The fluid (atf syn) is full and I have turned the wheel lock to lock 50-60 times and it still isn't working right.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it needs to be bled
Old 06-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Sometimes it's necessary to bleed the air out of the system, what your describing sounds light bump steer, which is air pockets, hopefully someone will chime in on a trick to bleeding, when I did my Imco add on I was able to bleed it out by very slowly turning lock to lock leaving the power steering cap off adding fluid as necessary
Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Registered

^ this. Worked for me as well on my add on kit.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered

Great thanks guys. I will try this first thing in the morning and report back. Thank you for the help.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to enlarge to port in the pump.

I believe it was 11\64th
Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Does it only happen at idle rpm or all the time. My Pantera with MM add on hyd would act similar at idle rpm in gear when it was below 800 rpm.
It was fine 850-900 rpms though as long as you didn't try to turn the wheel extremely fast.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:28 AM
Registered

Hi, yes it does it all the time.... Coops- can you elaborate a little please... Not sure what port. I am going to try and bleed it today and see where that gets me. One thing I did notice is it seems to hit hard spots a lot more when turning to the right then It does the left.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by monster12valve
Hi, yes it does it all the time.... Coops- can you elaborate a little please... Not sure what port. I am going to try and bleed it today and see where that gets me. One thing I did notice is it seems to hit hard spots a lot more when turning to the right then It does the left.
He's referring to the outlet fitting for the high pressure hose pointed out at 2;10 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsqH7IS4bPc

That usually will solve the issue I posted about. Not sure if this is your problem or if you have some air that still needs bled out since your problem happens at all rpms.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Registered

Well I found the issue!.... I feel like an idiot... But o well. The problem was when I added the add on kit and changed the helm and the cable.... I never greased the steering cable shaft that goes threw the steering housing and it was binding. Greased it up... Glides like butter! Still ordered the full hydro setup anyway though, as I plan on going fast next summer.