Intake air temperatures with blowers. >

Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Notices

Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I do not have a cue where all of my logs are from years ago. 540 with procharger at 10lbs The one think I do remember is the longer I stayed in it the intake air temp keep going up.
could that be because the volume of water going through the cooler is not enough to keep the core cold?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a whipple 3.3 with non MOAC inter cooler and I see temps in the low 90s. I can run wide open for as long as I want at those temps. I have a friend same boat set up, but a 2.3 whipple. His temp creeps up into the 1teens when he's in it for a while.. Smaller IC, and smaller blower that he turns much faster creating more heat.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 AM
Registered

Oops, Butchered up mine response and cant delete!

Carry on

Last edited by hadleycat; 06-17-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I do not have a cue where all of my logs are from years ago. 540 with procharger at 10lbs The one think I do remember is the longer I stayed in it the intake air temp keep going up.
One of my older Datalogs showed the same if I remember correctly.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Registered

Comparing roots to screw to centrifugal is almost impossible unless you are running each type on the same exact motor. There are too many variables to make an accurate comparison. Then adding an intercooler can change everything also. It has to do with having the right size blower for your motor. You put a too small roots on a motor and it will run hotter at the same boost level compared to the same type blower that is properly sized. I believe that centrifugal blowers are more efficient but that doesn't always mean they are the best for every application. Positive displacement blowers make power down low where as a centrifugal needs more rpm to get into it's power range. There is nothing like low end power to get a lot of weight moving. The best comparisons are between the old school blowers and the new style blowers from Whipple and other manufacturers. The new rotor designs and styles have made huge efficiency gains. The fact that car manufacturers use them as OEM on high performance applications shows they can be efficient. Of course turbos beat anything with a belt!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:24 AM
Registered

Hi,
I would be interested in hearing more comments about what intake air temperatures people are having especially with pro chargers. Mine seems to be growing with high loads until I decelerate at around 115 F intake temps. How high intake temps are considered safe and what temps people are getting??

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you pulling water off the crossover to feed the intercooler like procharger has it?
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Registered

Currently yes, but i'm planning to put closed cooling this winter and I've been thinking can the raw water first go to the intercooler and after that to the heat exchanger. I'm just concerned how much the intercooler restricts the flow??

Also, currently the water from intercooler is discharged over board, for me that doesn't make any sense. Should it go to manifolds instead??
Old 09-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What engine temps are you running?
Feeding of from the crossovers raised iat's considerably. Idea setup would be not to give the intercooler water at idle. You could plumb in a "t" off the raw water hose and then get a relief valve that would pump water thru the cooler once
your on plane and under way. With the bigger procharger cooler I would think with sufficient flow you should have pretty low intake air temps.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Thanks for comments.

Coolant is about 160 F. So you mean with closed cooling I would "t" the raw water before heat exchanger to go to intercooler? and after the intercooler to manifolds??

BTW what do you mean saying feeding from the crossover raised IAT considerably? compared to what?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.