Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Intake air temperatures with blowers. >

Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Notices

Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compared to it being lake temp water feeding the intercooler. When it's coming off the crossover it's not lake temp water. Yes before the heat exchanger and that is why you need some sort of check valve/pressure release valve because it would be sucking air at idle unless you put the dump port below the water line.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel cools enough to ice snow up 750 carb on a wee lil 5.7 350 mercruiser 240 Baja
Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
Compared to it being lake temp water feeding the intercooler. When it's coming off the crossover it's not lake temp water. Yes before the heat exchanger and that is why you need some sort of check valve/pressure release valve because it would be sucking air at idle unless you put the dump port below the water line.
Yep, I forgot the oil cooler and PS. I draw a picture if this is something you mean? Why you wouldn't pass the water to IC at idle? It's fuel injected so air temp shouln't be problem.

Hopefully the link works.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lUiNWSbsJCWp5VPV2
Old 09-05-2017, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
What engine temps are you running?
Feeding of from the crossovers raised iat's considerably. Idea setup would be not to give the intercooler water at idle. You could plumb in a "t" off the raw water hose and then get a relief valve that would pump water thru the cooler once
your on plane and under way. With the bigger procharger cooler I would think with sufficient flow you should have pretty low intake air temps.
Would a transom pick up be ideal here? No movement at idle but volume increases with speed?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is very radical at all it still hurts idle quality with efi.
As far as a transom pickups you want to run as few as you can get away with. Everytime you add something on the boat dragging thru the water it hurts speedamd possibly handling. Bravo boats pick up a ton of water so I see no reason to add another pickup.
It amazing the stern lift my 42 got from the pickups too deep. Enough to increase prop slip 5-7%.