Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Intake air temperatures with blowers. >

Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Notices

Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Intake air temperatures with blowers.

Just thought I'd start a thread about this. Seems to be a lot of flat out BULLCHIT on the internet, and docks, about temps from different superchargers.

I been hearing for years, how much HEAT, roots blowers make, and how much cooler air other superchargers produce.. I see procharger claims a test, where a roots blower at 5lbs of boost, raises the intake temperature, 115-135 ABOVE ambient temperature. LOL. So, if what they are saying is true, than a roots blower, on a 90 degree day, is going to have inlet temps of 205-225 degrees, with only 5lbs of boost. Were they using a weiand 177 blower on a 632ci for this test?

I have only seen a few roots blower combos were intake temps were measured, and they were no where near those kinds of temperatures. Icdedppl's 10-71's making 7-8lbs of boost, non intercooled, see around 140ish at wide open throttle if I'm not mistaken , on a typical 85 degree day. With a superchiller, and 6lbs of boost, my B&M 420 blower, had intake temps around 10 deg above ambient, and at 8lbs, about 25 deg above ambient. idling, without water in the intercooler, temps were 95 degrees. Idling with water in the intercooler, about 85 degrees.

I'm curious to know what other guys have seen as far as intake air temps, from various superchargers, whether it be roots, whipple, procharger, turbo, etc. From what I have seen on some roots stuff, the heat thing is highly exaggerated, usually by companies selling another style of supercharger.
Attached Thumbnails Intake air temperatures with blowers.-screenshot-112-.jpg  
Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting Joe. They are saying an intercooled pro charger is 25-30 above ambient. That sounds high to me. I wonder where they are taking these readings. Good topic though.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,473 Likes on 799 Posts

MT what size were the engines as well as supercharger they are getting their numbers/temps from in ref to ad. Did I miss that somewhere. Perhaps your right. 632/177 combo. Lol.

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-16-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
MT what size were the engines as well as supercharger they are getting their numbers/temps from in ref to ad. Did I miss that somewhere. Perhaps your right. 632/177 combo. Lol.
Thats just it. Most of these ad's never say that. They just say "roots" , and "heat" .
Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took a look at one of my datalogs. At idle I had an Manifold Air Temperature of 71 degrees. If I remember correctly it was actually 80 degrees out on that day. Lake water temp was probably about 65 degrees. I made a run to wide open throttle and he'd it there for approximately 5 seconds. Manifold Air Temperature went up to 117 degrees. I am running a Procharger M3 with their big Intercooler AW-504. 8 lbs. of boost on a 509 CI.

To add more info I am fuel injected. Running a Stock 502 MPI intake.

Last edited by hadleycat; 06-17-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Just took a look at one of my datalogs. At idle I had an Manifold Absolute Temperature of 71 degrees. If I remember correctly it was actually 80 degrees out on that day. Lake water temp was probably about 65 degrees. I made a run to wide open throttle and he'd it there for approximately 5 seconds. Manifold Absolute Temperature went up to 117 degrees. I am running a Procharger M3 with their big Intercooler AW-504. 8 lbs. of boost on a 509 CI
Reviewed my Datalog again and was recording 170 Kpa at 5650 rpm which equates to 10 pounds of boost instead of the 8 pounds my dash gauge was showing.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Just took a look at one of my datalogs. At idle I had an Manifold Absolute Temperature of 71 degrees. If I remember correctly it was actually 80 degrees out on that day. Lake water temp was probably about 65 degrees. I made a run to wide open throttle and he'd it there for approximately 5 seconds. Manifold Absolute Temperature went up to 117 degrees. I am running a Procharger M3 with their big Intercooler AW-504. 8 lbs. of boost on a 509 CI
Great info. So, wide open, big intercooler, 5 seconds wot, 117 degrees. Good to know! Thanks!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 4,202 Likes on 1,204 Posts

The big difference is carb of direct fuel injection. The vaporization of fuel plays a large part in the cooling effect .

The latent heat of vaporization is the amount of heat
required to vaporize a unit quantity of a fuel, generally measured
at one atmosphere of pressure and at the boiling point of the liquid.
The latent heat of vaporization of gasoline is approximately 900
Btu/gaL The vaporization of gasoline in a stoichiometric mixture
of liquid gasoline and air (without external heating) results in an air
temperature reduction of approximately 22°C(40°F).

Someone smarter than me could probably guesstimate how much cooling the fuel provides...
Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Registered

What type of fuel do I need with a supercharged automotive or truck engine?

The primary issues that determine the type of fuel needed are whether the engine is fuel-injected or carbureted, the compression ratio of the engine, and whether or not the supercharger system is intercooled.

For Intercooled ProCharger EFI/TPI applications with compression ratios less than 9.5:1, boost levels of 14-17 psi can be safely run with full timing on pump gas, and will produce horsepower gains of 75-100% (depending upon the boost level and the motor specifications). For 9.5:1 EFI/TPI applications running without an intercooler, boost levels above 5 psi will require the use of ignition/timing retard on pump gas, and will produce horsepower gains of 35-45%. Boost levels above 12 psi should generally be avoided even with racing fuel on a 9.5:1 motor. Of course, lower compression motors will be able to run more boost, and higher compression motors should run less boost, everything else being equal. All Intercooled ProCharger systems for street applications are designed to allow the use of pump gas with full timing and will not affect daily drivability.

For carbureted motors, the rules are slightly different. Carburetors deliver the vast majority of fuel in a liquid state, and as this raw fuel atomizes from liquid to gas, a chemical state change actually occurs. Due to this endothermic reaction, which draws heat and cools the incoming air, a carbureted motor can safely handle more boost than a comparable EFI/TPI motor. For carbureted engines with compression ratios of 9:1 or less and boost levels in the 8-14 psi range, pump gasoline works very well. Compression ratios of 10:1 and higher require lower boost levels, higher octane fuel, intercooling, or some combination of the above. Compression ratios in the 7or 8:1 range can usually handle 12-20 psi on pump gasoline.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Registered

I do not have a cue where all of my logs are from years ago. 540 with procharger at 10lbs The one think I do remember is the longer I stayed in it the intake air temp keep going up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.