Notices

Oil Temps

Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temps

I am running a Procharged 509 10 lbs. of boost. No water thermostat motor typically runs 100 degrees water temp. I rigged the oil system with -12 lines and a 3 x 16 oil cooler rated for up to 700 hp. I am also using the 625-7704 thermostatically controlled engine block adapter from CP Performance. I understand that a little bit of oil always has to run thru the cooler to prevent air pockets. But I have to run the piss out of the boat to get any oil temps. Anybody else experience this?
Old 06-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

You running bypass? If so run a 140 tstat with 4 3/16" holes in it.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Might be some trial and error on the tstat holes but need to start somewhere. Maybe start with 3 holes. If your not running a bypass your pretty much gonna have to run wfo to build any heat if your in these cold lake mi temps.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
You running bypass? If so run a 140 tstat with 4 3/16" holes in it.
Yes running a bypass. Thanks for the suggestion I will start there
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Yes running a bypass. Thanks for the suggestion I will start there
Actually I am not running a Bypass thermostat housing. I am running a bypass crossover and have the extra water line feeding my intercooler. I wonder if I could put a gutted thermostat in the housing to restrict the water flow a bit.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy Nick is running a very similar set up to yours, it was even done by Kunkels as well. He had to do exactly what getrdunn said. He installed a 140 thermostat and drilled a couple of small holes in it to help stop steam pockets from forming and it brought his oil temps up to a good operating temp. He is also running a bypass that is feeding his intercooler. You can get with him on here or on the checkmate forums, his user name is ndaniels. He is a great guy and will help you in any way he can.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by corey331
My buddy Nick is running a very similar set up to yours, it was even done by Kunkels as well. He had to do exactly what getrdunn said. He installed a 140 thermostat and drilled a couple of small holes in it to help stop steam pockets from forming and it brought his oil temps up to a good operating temp. He is also running a bypass that is feeding his intercooler. You can get with him on here or on the checkmate forums, his user name is ndaniels. He is a great guy and will help you in any way he can.
Cool thanks,
Old 06-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Registered

Ive had those same issues with whipple 540 in cold water. I tried a few T stats and settled on the Canton 22-450, oil goes right to 210 and stays there for the most part. I've adjusted my water pressure slightly by adding inserts in the tail pipe crossovers. (kinda like merc does it) If you do the modified water thermostat way, keep an eye on pressure most likely it will increase if you add blockage. The whole pressure versus flow argument should start here anytime. Good luck-
Old 06-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by launchpad475
Ive had those same issues with whipple 540 in cold water. I tried a few T stats and settled on the Canton 22-450, oil goes right to 210 and stays there for the most part. I've adjusted my water pressure slightly by adding inserts in the tail pipe crossovers. (kinda like merc does it) If you do the modified water thermostat way, keep an eye on pressure most likely it will increase if you add blockage. The whole pressure versus flow argument should start here anytime. Good luck-
Thanks, Since I do not have a water pressure gauge I am thinking I may not go with the gutted thermostat idea.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't have blowers but just finally got a way to get temp in engines using a bypass, with the bypass connected the cold water dumping on stat it would never open, so I used 5/8 restrictors and use bypass so exhaust gets enough water flow, now I see 140-150 max water temps and oil temps will come up faster now..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.