496HO Double Beep Alarm >

496HO Double Beep Alarm

Notices

496HO Double Beep Alarm

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496HO Double Beep Alarm

Hello, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My boat has a Merc 496HO engine with the Bravo 3 outdrive. A couple days ago it started giving a double beep error code when it's running about 3,000 rpm. If I run at lower rpm's then no error code is present but if I push the throttle above this, the alarm comes on and repeats every minute or so. I've checked all the fluids and topped up the drive a little but that hasn't corrected the error. It's pretty consistent now. I've also heard the error code come on as I come off plane. Gauges are all reading in the normal range for temp, oil pressure, etc. I will take it in to get scanned but I was hoping you guys could give me a few things to check before I do that. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 415 Likes on 244 Posts

It could be one of many issues. Only to find out is to scan it. Invest in a scanner.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

www.rinda.com
Buy your own scanner. I guarantee it will pay off.

There are some posts here in the past from member "BUP" that have all of the "2 beep" alarm possibilities.
If I had to guess, I bet you have a water pressure problem. When as the last time you replaced your impeller?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

The last time I replaced the impeller was two years ago. I have 130 hours total on the boat. It is a 2008 year.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

So a quick update... drove the the boat this am to the local marine shop. The boat did give the double beep error code again. Gives error code even when in neutral once rpm is over 3,000. The mechanic was unhooking a few sensors to see if the error would go away. Now the engine will not start at all. Won't even turn over or anything... just dead. Maybe be something in the ignition contact or shift mechanism. Had to leave the boat there now as I have no way of getting it home as I took it there via water as it's only a few minutes from my home. The scary part is that the mechanic says they can't hook it up to a scanner as they don't have a recent copy of the software. They are a cert merc shop. I'm hoping the error and the engine not starting are related. If not, I think I'll get it on a trailer and take it to the Cobalt dealer. Not feeling very good about this.....
Old 07-07-2016, 01:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

In N you are going to get a overspeed alarm and overspeed fault code reving the engine at 3 K rpms or actually a bit above those 3 K rpms. Some taches can be off so the range in general is 3 to 3.4 k rpms for the jist of it.

Your tech who tried to scan this first of all is way behind the times and is very outdated at what he does, especially if he can not scan ECM / PCM 555. I would find a current tech that has OEM training.

I am in Dallas / FT Worth area and surely could handle your engine problems if that helps any.

Last edited by BUP; 07-07-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Registered

Thanks BUP, I believe you are correct. I'd love to have you look at the boat but I'm in Canada.... Ontario actually. It would be a long drive to Dallas

There's a Cobalt dealer in the thousand islands that I'll take it to. Hopefully they can help me out. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

100 % I hear that on the distance. I just had a boater from New Mexico that somewhat has the same problems as you. He has a 496 catalyst engine and could not find anyone to fix it correctly and even scan it his app. Those have a different PCM. and alot more fault codes to even understand. Just saying. Good luck with it.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Now you are the frustration & time spent point where your own $500 www.rinda.com scanner would do you good.

BUP is right. When you rev the engine in Neutral over 3000 RPM, it will definitely alarm with overspeed.

I believe your dead ignition problem is the fault of your neutral safety switch. Jiggle your shifter fore and aft, and make sure it's dead center between Forward and Reverse.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Registered

Guys, Cobalt dealer took it out for a test drive with laptop hooked up to the engine. They say the IAC sensor was bad and needed replacing. It was reading way too high. At idle it was seeing values that are more typical of what you would see at WOT. They say it was odd and normally happens the other way around.

Investing in a scanner does make sense so that I can deal with this on my own in the future. Thank you for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.