Volvo penta 4.3 gxi >

Volvo penta 4.3 gxi

Notices

Volvo penta 4.3 gxi

Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Volvo penta 4.3 gxi

Working on a 2004 volvo penta 4.3 GXI fuel injected engine. Getting an alarm when we go to plane and then engine reduces power. High pressure fuel pump whines a little. Idles smooth no problems there, any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Do a general google search on volvo penta fuel pumps you will see this is a common problem but expensive but easy fix. As for alarms it could be any thing Temp, oil level,

The slow repetitive tone is a warning that there is a minor trouble code that is stored in the ECM memory. It is very likely that it is the other warning that the first one is telling you about.

The rapid beeping is what Volvo calls a Hard Warning. A hard warning that is accompanied with a power reduction is either the engine coolant temperature (ECT)sensor is reading too high, or the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) sensor is reading too high.

The only other problem that will reduce the motors power is if you are over reving the motor, which only causes it to cut out when the rpms go over the rated max.

Or if the Diagnostics Processor is having an internal problem.

In order to tell if the processor is the problem, you will need to have the engine scanned with the diagnostic tools.

If it is one of the two sensors that is reading correct, you either have too high a coolant temperature, or the exhaust temperature is too high.

If the sensor is reading incorrectly the diagnostic too will tell you which is giving the Hard Warning
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Registered

Thanks Boomer for the info. The Tstat housing is warm to the touch, I feel like it should be cooler. It does have a new impeller. Sounds like she needs to be plugged in to know anything further. Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You need to post the model number of the engine because 2004 / 2005 was the changed over from MEFI 4 to E Controls ECM's. Alarms and some fault codes were not the same. Do you know which ECM you have ???
Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

BUP Engine is a 4.3 GXI-E .. not sure on ecm. I talked to Mark at Rinda yesterday and he is sending me a code mate so I can see what the Hard Alarm is for. At this point I suspect debris in the fuel system possibly clogging regulator causing it to run the pump higher pressure than needed. Thank you guys for your help.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Registered

Checked Fuel pressures last night, 64 psi on the rail side and 8 on the low. I believe these pressures are within spec. I did clean quite a bit of black crud off of the screen on the regulator, the High pressure pump doesn't whine anymore and the pump is cool to the touch. I am still getting the alarm at 2300 rpm then power is cut when in gear. I tried to read the codes from the ecu using a Codemate with no success. ECU # 43IAFM\04US01. Does anyone know why the codemate wouldn't read the codes?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bup
you need to post the model number of the engine because 2004 / 2005 was the changed over from mefi 4 to e controls ecm's. Alarms and some fault codes were not the same. Do you know which ecm you have ???
4.3 gxi-e ecu# 43iafm\04us01
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM
BUP
Banned

the winky blinky is not going to tell you crap. Such outdated way of testing and you will never fix anything with it. Also it is for use MEFI 1 thru 4 only. You do have MEFI 4 for the GXI - E. I strongly will have to say if you are working boats buy the scan tool techmate pro or the Diacom software. You also ned OEm service manuals to continue to work boats. The fuel specs are 8 psi + or - 4 psi for low pressure pump side and 50 to 60 psi for the high pressure pump side.

I would change the cap and rotor - for starters. Check voltage thru out and grounds.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:11 AM
BUP
Banned

this app just like mercruiser uses a HVS nor distributor - yes it looks like a distributor but is not. If it has been moved or rotated just a fraction or has been pulled out for any reasons - your cam angle is off - these HVS have to be properly phased. Timing is none adjustable as it all thru the ECM MEFI 4 and so is the spark events. The HVS just send sparks the ecm controls all of that. IMO Cap and rotor first and if the HVS has been pulled or moved then all of that needs to be phased properly to even get this engine running correctly. I believe these are problems looking in my crystal ball.

If this is your boat and or you are working on boats - I would have to say you better buy a real scan tool and learn how to use it. Good luck with it. I gave you the most solid advice to fix blindly and without a scan tool.

And by the way HVS = High voltage switch that what these distributor looking ignition set ups are called Not a distributor. PROPERLY phased is very important. This will set alarm and not show up on a scan as you have to look at cam angle from a real scan tool that reads and shows all perameters. Codemate LOL sorry but really is funny trying to work on boats with that.

Last edited by BUP; 07-15-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
this app just like mercruiser uses a HVS nor distributor - yes it looks like a distributor but is not. If it has been moved or rotated just a fraction or has been pulled out for any reasons - your cam angle is off - these HVS have to be properly phased. Timing is none adjustable as it all thru the ECM MEFI 4 and so is the spark events. The HVS just send sparks the ecm controls all of that. IMO Cap and rotor first and if the HVS has been pulled or moved then all of that needs to be phased properly to even get this engine running correctly. I believe these are problems looking in my crystal ball.

If this is your boat and or you are working on boats - I would have to say you better buy a real scan tool and learn how to use it. Good luck with it. I gave you the most solid advice to fix blindly and without a scan tool.

And by the way HVS = High voltage switch that what these distributor looking ignition set ups are called Not a distributor. PROPERLY phased is very important. This will set alarm and not show up on a scan as you have to look at cam angle from a real scan tool that reads and shows all perameters. Codemate LOL sorry but really is funny trying to work on boats with that.
You are right on, the distributor was pulled and reinstalled. I believed I was chasing a problem that I could not fix without a scan tool. I spoke with Mark @ Rinda on Monday and he thought the code mate would do what I needed it to, I actually wanted to buy the scan tool but he currently doesn't have any in stock to ship. Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.