USCG - friendly fuel pump setups--- EFI into carbed boat >

USCG - friendly fuel pump setups--- EFI into carbed boat

Notices

USCG - friendly fuel pump setups--- EFI into carbed boat

Old 07-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USCG - friendly fuel pump setups--- EFI into carbed boat

1990 21' Chaparra / Alpha / previously 260hp 5.7. Bought without most of the engine bits.

Have landed on a 320hp volvo GXi long block and if I move quick enough I'll have it setup with EFI before I'm tempted to just run it with a carb. Most EFI boats I've worked with and had good luck with had a traditional engine mounted mechanical pump feeding a surge tank, with the efi pump pulling from and returning to the surge tank.

No provisions on this block/cam setup to run a mechanical, so what's the next best setup for reliable lift pump? If it was a CAR I would be hanging a centrifugal ~7psi pump in the tank and doing an inline, so the part I'm missing is the lift pump.

USCG would prefer that I not return to the tank, correct?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

USCG would prefer that I not return to the tank, correct?
Ayuh,.... That's Correct,..... Fuel pumps ain't mounted inside gas tanks either,.....

I take it ya didn't get the Volvo's fuel system with the motor,..??
Old 07-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct, it was a warranty swap out that needed some valve seat work, so a new longblock went in.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Volvo uses a special design external fuel pumps a boost pump and high pressure fuel pump / cool fuel all made by a CARTER. Proper lay up of this cool fuel cell and fuel pumps is needed. One is they hold water so if not drained 100 % of cooling water for freezing temps - then you are screwed everytime and count on killing the unit. Even non Volvo techs do not know this.

2 nd the cell has a needle and seat and float type of operation that gets stuck either way - open or closed. Open and or open stuck float dumps alot of fuel down cylinder number 1 thru the cell bypass hose that connects to the intake manifold located in the area of cylinder number 1. Just for a short jist of it. Proper maintenance of the cool fuel cell and pumps is needed at all times. Many owners cause their problems with this type of unit. With that said make sure your fuel system on the Volvo is in 100 % working order.

Also many wake boats have used in the fuel tank pumps only and no cool fuel period for many years.

this is the info I found to show what I am talking about.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=25783

Last edited by BUP; 07-11-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they also have a non changeable filter that clogs and you must change out the whole pump assembly !!! and around here they fail regularly !!!! B/S setup my .02 !
Old 07-12-2016, 01:00 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Faster,

I installed a carter UL Marine lift pump, a Merc HP pump, along with a small marine PS cooler used as a fuel cooler for a Holley HP TBI system I installed a few years back.
The pumps were installed as low , and as close to the fuel tanks possible, while staying within minimum USCG fuel pump to engine distance (18 inches?). The fuel return is routed
from throttle body to cooler, then teed into the suction side of the lift pump. This fuel system has been installed for about 3 years now, and has worked out great.

Steve