Sea Strainers >

Sea Strainers

Notices

Sea Strainers

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
My boat has the old style factory fountain thru transom water pickups. On the bottom of the pickup, they welded a plate on to it, that has a bunch of little holes drilled in it. Like 1/8 or so diameter holes. While I also have sea strainers, nothing is ever in them, because nothing ever gets past the pickups.

One time I was idling thru a harbor that had a ton of sea weed floating at the surface. My water temp began creeping up at idle. I knew some seaweed must have been sucked up against the pickup. Shut that engine off for a few seconds, sea weed floated away from the pickup, and was good to go.

Its a really neat setup, that works well. Not sure why more pickups don't get designed that way.
Do you have pictures?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ARB38
Chad, give me a call. I have a couple of new ones that I do not need.
Thanks Al. I'll ring you in the am!!

Last edited by mcprodesign; 07-23-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Not having one cost me a tow years ago when I sucked up crushed shells at Put-in-Bay. Cooling system plugged tight 80 miles from my home port. Good thing I carry towing insurance and of course I now have a sweet Teague sea strainer. Snag the ones from AL.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

My boat has the old style factory fountain thru transom water pickups. On the bottom of the pickup, they welded a plate on to it, that has a bunch of little holes drilled in it. Like 1/8 or so diameter holes. While I also have sea strainers, nothing is ever in them, because nothing ever gets past the pickups.

One time I was idling thru a harbor that had a ton of sea weed floating at the surface. My water temp began creeping up at idle. I knew some seaweed must have been sucked up against the pickup. Shut that engine off for a few seconds, sea weed floated away from the pickup, and was good to go.

Its a really neat setup, that works well. Not sure why more pickups don't get designed that way.
That's really good info and seems like the obvious way to do it.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

This is a similar idea to what MildThunder was talking about. These are from Keith Eickert's company Lighting Performance.

http://www.kustomboltons.com/water-pick-up.html
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 PM
Registered

Kinda hard to put a screen here. I think I like the idea of water going through the inside of my drives. It may have a cooling effect. I guess I just have to find some sea strainers.. Still looking
Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Is this a good way to go? I never have seen 700hp boats with bronze sea strainers
http://m.ebay.com/itm/122055396569
Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

If you build to much water pressure with that style the glass may break. I have no idea what that is rated for, but the burst strength is no where near what a Teague strainer is.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

It will be before any pump. So it will have to be as strong as a rubber hose but collapseing is a concern , not pressure. Maybe running on top end it will have like 100mph pressure though huh. Good point . I am going to run stainless when i find a set. Or I'm not going out where the Kelp beds are . Period. Thanks Endeavour

Last edited by mcprodesign; 07-29-2016 at 08:47 PM.