2003 496 HO Fuel Pressure Issue >

2003 496 HO Fuel Pressure Issue

Notices

2003 496 HO Fuel Pressure Issue

Old 07-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 496 HO Fuel Pressure Issue

I had my injectors cleaned and flow tested and after reinstalling I'm experiencing harder sputtering start on warm motor. Once started there is a gas smell from the exhaust that clears after a few seconds. Testing fuel rail pressure shows 42 while pump is running and drops to 36 when pumps stops It will then slowly drop to 20 in approx 25 mins.

Since I just had my injectors cleaned and there were no issue before this, I suspect a leaking injector.

Question - on the fuel pressure test, should it maintain 42 PSI after the pump stops or is it normal for it to drop to 36? Is it normal for it to continue to slowly drop? Would you suspect a leaky injector (next step is to pull the rails out and check)? Anything else to check for?

Thanks.

<<UPDATE>> Sorry if this has been covered already but I've searched for hours and can't find the exact answers i'm looking for. I pulled the fuel rails and lightly dabbed the nozzles with paper towels to remove any fuel. Then I pressurized the system a few times and let sit until it reached 20 PSI. All but one injector had enough fuel to soak my finger tip. No dripping at this point. Could this be my problem? Could the internal seals have been damage during cleaning? Once again thanks for any info. My season is very short due to work commitments - missed my first weekend of boating this year because of this issue.

Tim

Last edited by 275Boss; 07-17-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'm wondering if pressure issue might be in the pump, and it's bleeding back when off; and maybe not at full volume when running.