540ci 700hp build recipe

Notices

540ci 700hp build recipe

Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
If you have a builder have him spec the build. It's a little easier for them to stand behind their build when they spec the components. Also, when the numbers don't make what you paid for it is a little easier for a course of action.
Agreed!
It's gotta drive engine builders nuts when customers (with all good intentions and just trying to be educated) come in and say "so and so on such and such website says these are the parts I need to be using".
Kind of like going to the doctor and telling them what's weong with you because you read up on "web-MD.com".

My comments aren't directed at you monster, just a general observation.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Agreed!
It's gotta drive engine builders nuts when customers (with all good intentions and just trying to be educated) come in and say "so and so on such and such website says these are the parts I need to be using".
Kind of like going to the doctor and telling them what's weong with you because you read up on "web-MD.com".

Hahaha I never thought about that! Makes perfect sense! I am going to let Ray handle it. I just like learning and asking questions. Thank you guys for the help. If I could get a doctorate in "fast boats" I would be in college yesterday.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by monster12valve
Hahaha I never thought about that! Makes perfect sense! I am going to let Ray handle it. I just like learning and asking questions. Thank you guys for the help. If I could get a doctorate in "fast boats" I would be in college yesterday.
Educating yourself is excellent. But, your engine builder is the expert. Also, specific HP goals can be achieved through different recipes. And your builder might have one that he is comfortable with and has a track record with it.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

So what is a good solid performing head for $1500-$2000 a set? Would I be better off working over the stock heads that were just rebuilt?
Isn't this fun. Lol... This is the kind of stuff that can keep you awake at night. Just curious what gm castings you have currently. Most that I've seen are pretty much done at .600 lift/320 cfm so that alone would limit your cam amd combo options which ultimately wouldn't get you where you would like to be. You have some good input from others who have been there and done that so to speak. Gm heads in the right hands can still make some power however would be costly. Even your good aftermarket heads have much to be gained with porting and bowl work. CNC heads would be your best bet however a little pricier. 320cc Pro filer heads is what I would look into at an affordable price and flow well out if the box and can get some pretty good gains with little work.

Sounds like you wanna NA build but if you strapped a 420 mega blower on you'd be able to use both your heads and cams and achieve over and above your hp goals for probably the least amount of money. Seen several low hour used ones go very affordable over the last few months.

Just an option I'm sure you've kicked around.

Last edited by getrdunn; 07-31-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely! It's fun to learn and good to gather as much info as you can going in.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Like using the highly recommended. Bob M? What a HUGE mistake tht was for me...

Buy heads bare have them built, I would really do some talking on cams that's for sure, ERSON ground great cams for my old engines... Wish I contacted them with current ones...700 hp with efi gonna be very tough it at all possible, I may be wrong though

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Agreed!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

MER recently built a 555ci. Solid roller, 10:1ish, dominator, made 720ish HP with the "custom" spec'd cam from the cam god. Yanked that cam out for a cam he had laying on the shelf he got from howards years ago, that looked like a better fit for the combo. Ended up at 770ish hp. Did lose a smidge of midrange torque, but nothing major. Definitley worth the HP gain.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
MER recently built a 555ci. Solid roller, 10:1ish, dominator, made 720ish HP with the "custom" spec'd cam from the cam god. Yanked that cam out for a cam he had laying on the shelf he got from howards years ago, that looked like a better fit for the combo. Ended up at 770ish hp. Did lose a smidge of midrange torque, but nothing major. Definitley worth the HP gain.

What kind of rpm I wonder with said cams at hp you stated. That would be interesting to know.
Tks
John
Btw what shiney 4 blades you running?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Those BB-1 heads have a .600" raised exhaust port. May have to do some transom mods for your tailpipes. The 24* CNC 298cc Race Rites I believe have standard exhaust height.

Speaking of which, what exhaust do you have or will you use ?

That intake manifold is going to squash your dreams. Read up on it.
That BB1 head is a bad azz head Brodix doesn't advertise it much because the CNC porting is proprietary and is not done in house they have to send the castings to STS for the porting...
Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
What kind of rpm I wonder with said cams at hp you stated. That would be interesting to know.
Tks
John
Btw what shiney 4 blades you running?
I wanna say around 6400. This was a jesel valvetrain setup , engines going in a 33 fountain with speedmasters.

You see me this weekend ? I was up in Grand Haven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.