Strange noise... please help!

Notices

Strange noise... please help!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Strange noise... please help!

Hopefully someone can help me out here. Cruising last weekend and heard a whining sound. I didn't maker much note of it. Got back to the marina and (Of Course) dead low tide again, (starboard side) ran a little hot after sucking up mud and I had my drives all the way up in trailer position just to get the boat to move. Finally I just left it in a slip and returned the next morning at high tide. I back flushed the drive with a water hose and cleared out the mud..Temps fine, flowing good amount of water BUT now i have this strange scraping sound or metallic sound. Engines rev smoothly no knocking, good oil pressure,60 water temp142, water pressure 3t o 5 Can a U joint or a gimble bearing make this sound? The starboard drive on the top sides seemed to be warmer then usual just idling. warm water was not hitting the drive see videos

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poXn55VL_4k[/URL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsE2cSha7ZI[/URL]
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Not the best idea to go idling around with your drives all the way up. Gimble bearing would be my guess from the vids and your description
Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Not the best idea to go idling around with your drives all the way up. Gimble bearing would be my guess from the vids and your description
X2. Under circumstances I wouldn't let the temperature bother me. I understand u were in a predicament but as mentioned that is hard on ujoints etc. have you greased the gimbles in a while if not pump plenty in and see if it changes the pitch or sound in any way. If so then gimbles be your problem more than likely. You can pull your drives and manually ck bearing however I've had them feel fine yet replaced anyway and solved problem/noise. If you narrowed it down to what side it is pull it and ck ujoints also.

It's not another internal flapper issue is it?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I keep up on all maintenance usually..The u joints were greased 2 seasons ago...I don't pulled the drives every year. Boat is garage kept..The gimbals i may have missed a year or so ...I plan on pulling the drive Starboard..checking and probably changing both the u joint and the gimbal bearing..As for internal flappers..Yes i have them Corsa..rubber with weight...not a clacking noise
Thanks for the input
Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Can you touch your toes and sprint while doing so ? Hah !

Your ujoints will get all bound up running up in trailer mode. Sometimes the u joint will hit the yoke ears and/or carrier nut ears.
Plus tons of stress on the gimble bearing.

BTW: I couldn't hear schit over the exhaust noise because this lap top's sound system suks. Errr.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Update... Replaced gimble bearing and both u joints today...Problem still existed...So i started to eliminate belts and the culprit is the circulating pump bearing dry and noisy. Probably mud sand got into the bearing
Thanks for all the help
Old 08-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by 35fountain
Update... Replaced gimble bearing and both u joints today...Problem still existed...So i started to eliminate belts and the culprit is the circulating pump bearing dry and noisy. Probably mud sand got into the bearing
Thanks for all the help
Well at least your good to go with bearings and joints for a while.

Now that you mentioned what the problem was it seems like there was a thread a while back that went through same deal. Wish I could have remembered before hand. Good thing is your back on the water with mind at ease.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Yeah, I'm going to do the other side bearings and u joints anyway.. Can't hurt. I had this boat 8 years and this is the first change.. I never heard a bearing failing on the circ pump, usually its a seal and they start leaking, just like cars
Old 08-06-2016, 04:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you work on boats enough of them - bearings do fail in the water circ pumps. Some to many boat owners would be surprise if you pulled your belt away and rotate the circ pump pulley by hand to find how notchy and or slight to heavy drag the rotation is. I find one about once per week. I would not run a water circ pump more than 10 years of useage. Saltwater is less than that. Closed cooling apps can last a very long time depending on somethings.

As we speak I have 2008 Merc MPI 350 HO MAG - All freshwater use with 118 hours the water circ pump bearing is shot. Rotation is not free at all by hand - BUT was barely noticeable when running thru out all rpm's. Never leaked a drop of water either.

If someone wants to post the video of it up here, I can send the video to your cell phone of what exactly I am talking about. If not no big deal.

Last edited by BUP; 08-06-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

did nt you have about 4 years ago videos of your engine making clicking noise after engine shut down ? If I recall it was something to do with your valve train set up ? Do you still have those video's. And what was causing your issue back then ? and what fixed it ?

I had one as well about 3 years ago - as I believe was like what you were experiencing ? Mine was his springs and push rod length was off for the jist of his problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.