7.4 MPI low power >

7.4 MPI low power

Notices

7.4 MPI low power

Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7.4 MPI low power

Hi all. My Baja H2x seems to be low on power. Takes a long time to get on plane and struggles to get to 45 mph. I had a intermittent banging noise which I isolated to the prop hub. Replaced it and the banging noise is gone. I checked and replaced the plugs. 6 of the plugs looked good. plugs from Cylinders 6 and 8 were black. Looked fouled. I also found a ground wire had worn through and was touching the block. Fixed that. After a test run it seems a little better. I pulled the plugs on cylinders 2,4,6,8 and compared them. 2,4 looked as they should. 6,8 were completely clean like they haven't been used. I have cap,rotor and plug wires ordered. Waiting for them to get here. Any suggestions as to y those 2 plugs looked new after the test run?

Thank you
Mark
Old 08-08-2016, 05:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

It can be hard to tell if you are not a spark plug reader type person. Just pulled my plugs from my junk earlier this year. Where in motor for 6yrs plus. Looked like they hardly ran.

We need more diagnostics....compression good ? fuel psi good ? If been many years, do what you are doing by replacing all ignition components - plugs (get OE Marine delco's), cap/rotor (Mercruiser) and good quality wires - I won't say because always debated. LOL. Clean out your flame arrestor which no one does, including many marina's, for some ungodly reason.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I dont want to assume,,,,, is the a new to you boat, or a boat you have had that developed this problem?

If its new to you , I would suggest dropping some pitch in prop and target 4600 rpm WOT.

If new problem, then you are on the right track starting with a full tune up and go from there.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Registered

Thank you for the help. It's a new problem. 1st full season with the boat. My tuneup stuff is finally here. Gonna put that stuff on. Do the compression test and fuel pressure test today. Finally have time. Another question. Does the boat have a "limp mode" like cars? If it senses an issue. It will cut the power?
Thank you again
Mark

On a side note. I think I am supposed to be upset it's broke. I'm not because I like turning wrenches and trouble shooting. I've always enjoyed building and wrenching my cars more than I like driving them. Weird I guess.

Last edited by Uberlord; 08-12-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uberlord
Thank you for the help. It's a new problem. 1st full season with the boat. My tuneup stuff is finally here. Gonna put that stuff on. Do the compression test and fuel pressure test today. Finally have time. Another question. Does the boat have a "limp mode" like cars? If it senses an issue. It will cut the power?
Thank you again
Mark

On a side note. I think I am supposed to be upset it's broke. I'm not because I like turning wrenches and trouble shooting. I've always enjoyed building and wrenching my cars more than I like driving them. Weird I guess.
LIKE TO WRENCH RATHER THAN DRIVE THEM -- someone within this group needs to have a long talk with you-- I really do understand your passion.

Please let us know what you found -- I likewise have a 7.4 MPI and I'm always interesting in learning what other people experience. Regarding your flame arrestor - Believe it or not - I clean ours with warm soapy water at each fill -- considering the volume of air that goes thru this it is VERY cheap maintenance.

All the best

3pointstar
Old 08-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The other thing is if they are totally clean you could be getting water in those cylinders.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Registered

I didn't get lucky with just a tuneup. I have 2 adjacent cylinders 6 and 8 with perfectly clean plugs. Those 2 cylinders also showed low compression when doing dry test. Stayed the same with oil in the cylinders. Fuel pressure is good. Plugs are firing. Looks like a bad head gasket. Anyone have thoughts on my conclusion of head gaskets being the issue?
I appreciate all your help.
Thank you
Mark

Last edited by Uberlord; 08-13-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Op,

How many hours? The VST filters on mine were 2/3 and full plugged with junk at 235 hrs. (1996 model 7.4LX MPI's) causing a bogging issue at 3k rpm. Also the VST diaphragms were cracked, looked dry rotted.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Registered

It's has 120 hrs. I looked in my manuals and I can't find any mention of the VST. This sounds dumb. But where is it? Lol.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Likely is a head gasket. Sounds like you're steam cleaning the plugs. Low compression. Get the heads off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.