Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Reoccurung water pump failures... >

Reoccurung water pump failures...

Notices

Reoccurung water pump failures...

Old 08-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Read Glens post again #7. Type in part number in Google. I bet you a beer your replace the hose correctly and your problem will go away😎
Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Read Glens post again #7. Type in part number in Google. I bet you a beer your replace the hose correctly and your problem will go away��
Ok, but the transom is brand new, no more than 10 hours on it.
Surely it would be supplied with a new hose.

Last edited by nsformula; 08-23-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Check to see if the hose is twisted then. The plastic insert used to hold the hose to the bell housing sometime will let the hose turn causing a kink.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by nsformula
That is a good idea and I will likely do that.
But that is not going to help when the boat is in the water and still won`t pick up water flow
True, but relying on the SWP to draw water up from your drive when using the muffs is always a gamble. I think that this will likely decrease the wear on your impellers over time, and also help with your longevity issues. Also, this "Tee" being installed in that hose from the transom to the SWP will virtually guarantee that it cannot ever completely collapse.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Check to see if the hose is twisted then. The plastic insert used to hold the hose to the bell housing sometime will let the hose turn causing a kink.
Will do
Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
True, but relying on the SWP to draw water up from your drive when using the muffs is always a gamble. I think that this will likely decrease the wear on your impellers over time, and also help with your longevity issues. Also, this "Tee" being installed in that hose from the transom to the SWP will virtually guarantee that it cannot ever completely collapse.
This could also serve to release any air lock in the hose.

After going thru this is even before changing the drive and double checking everything numerous times, and evaluating every ones advice, I think an airlock is the likely core of the problem.
That may explain why I have no water pick up on the hose or in the water.

I think I will get a new inlet hose, and put a tee in it as shown.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nsformula
The impellers are trashed when I pull it apart, most if not all the vanes broken.

I could be wrong but I think if there was a blockage on the outlet hose or cooler, I would have the temps go up and maybe only a little of bit water out of the exhaust tips, but you would not expect to see complete blockage and no water out the tips.

I have pulled both hoses off and checked for debris and checked the inlet on the cooler as well.

And, as soon as I change the impeller, as is well.
Have you replaced the impeller housing? If you smoke an impeller the plastic housing is usually junk as well
Old 08-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Have you replaced the impeller housing? If you smoke an impeller the plastic housing is usually junk as well
Not every time, but most.
I check the housing for wear though.
The one I put on Saturday was a kit with the housing, Merc product.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Just to update, before starting it tonight to flush the weekend water..
I checked the hose from drive to transom, no kinks or twists,
checked the belt tension, ok.
checked the hose from transom to pump housing, no leaks and the hose has wire braid and is solid as a rock.

Started up on the hose with the muffs good and tight and instant water out the exhaust.
Did the same on Saturday, no water out of the exhaust...

The only thing that makes sense is some kind of air lock in the hose from the transom to the pump.
An airlock could occur or not occur depending on how the system drained while sitting on the trailer parked or towing to a launch.

I can't imagine a scenario where any of the hoses are collapsed sometimes and not other times, or there is an obstruction in the system that comes and goes.
It ran flawlessly all weekend.
The fact that it can burn up an impellor in the water gives credit to the air lock theory imho

I don't know why mine would air lock and others don't.
So how fix it,
the tee in the inlet hose should work, if it was open to the atmosphere before flushing or starting in the water, it should vent.
Or, maybe put a vent petcock on the t/stat housing or somewhere high on the coolant system.

Make sense????

Last edited by nsformula; 08-23-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

My father fought a collapsing line on his crown line this year. The one in your transom assembly. Pumped water fine on hose and at idle but would close enough at 3000 and up to starve the pump and melt the impeller. We pulled our hair out trying to find the cause. If everything else checks out, replace it and see if it helps. His looked fun but apparently wasn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.