I'm cursed!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts
Default I'm cursed!

#####

Hate the ads.

Last edited by TomZ; 08-25-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tried to get out with the Formula tonight....

1. Leaving the house, the brakes on my truck fail. Almost hit some stupid lady in the process, but I think someone was watching out for me! Could have easily happened in traffic or at the boat ramp. Ended up using my buddy's Duramax to get to the ramp.

2. Launched the boat. No issues until I got to the inlet at Lynnhaven, went to get on plane, dead miss. Still got on plane and got out of the inlet into the Bay, but needed to figure out why. Got to a safe spot, stabbed the throttle hard a couple of times, then tried again, got on plane and hauled the mail! Interestingly, the Gaffrig speedo (pitot tube driven) read 5 MPH slow than the GPS (can't even get the happiness of an optimistic reading speedometer!). Anyway, topped out in the 60's somewhere, got too rough to care.

3. Nice ride back to Lynnhaven and into Broad Bay. Did the blower-surging no wake deal past Bubba's, Dockside, and Chicks (lots of waves and thumbs up and such), then got to One Fish Two Fish and the couple ate itself. I guess the factory coupler didn't like the abuse out in the bay (and the 650 lbs ft of torque being applied to it on and off).

4. Towed back to the city dock (right past all the people that were waving and giving thumbs up and such at above said restaurants) by.... oh the shame.... a Bayliner. G*d D*mmit!! (we were quite greatful considering the monster current that was taking us toward some million+dollar boats).

Checked out the damage, and it looks like the splines gave up the ghost completely. I just replaced the flywheel, but thought the couple was okay, though in its defense, this was the first time of really hammering the throttle to it (I've been babying it until this evening). The alignment was good! Looks like I need a heavy duty steel HP coupler. Anyone got a good one fairly inexpensive and in good shape?!

Last edited by TomZ; 08-25-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:16 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Aww. too bad. Your motor is too big. shucks!
I'm glad to hear you could get it wet after the debacle.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like it loaded up a bit after the idling and when you went to get on plane, the plugs were not firing properly until you cleared it out? A little too rich at idle?
Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Sounds like it loaded up a bit after the idling and when you went to get on plane, the plugs were not firing properly until you cleared it out? A little too rich at idle?
Exactly. I need to lean the carbs out some.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Any pennies left to upgrade to a drive guardian? You're in there anyways and may possibly save you more money down the road.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've considered the Drive Guardian, but I can't really justify the cost. The difference in cost over even the most expensive coupler is a whole bunch of pennies, and probably way overkill for my boat.

Regarding the coupler, what should I get for it? I see that CP Performance lists two different HP couplers; one with the just the grease fittings, and one with the snout. They both have steel spline inserts, but the costs are greatly different. So which one do I use?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Took the drive off at lunch yesterday... the driveshaft came out with sections of the coupler's splines... guess it really gave up the ghost. The driveshaft is in good shape so no issues there. time to order parts.

Before taking the drive off, I had to flush the engine. The couplet and shaft still had enough of a friction fit to spin the prop. Thought that was kind of funny. Anyway....

I'm glad this happened at low rpm vs out and about.

Any thoughts on a coupler? Is the Sierra replacement HP coupler as good as the Merc? I can save about $75 and get it locally vs shipping.