Typical places oil leaks occur in the port side rear of the engine >

Typical places oil leaks occur in the port side rear of the engine

Notices

Typical places oil leaks occur in the port side rear of the engine

Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical places oil leaks occur in the port side rear of the engine

Interesting that there is not an engine forum, or did I miss it?

I sprung a leak on the port side of the port engine. i was able to locate the area it was dripping from, it is the in the very back of the engine where a few oil related gadgets are located (cooler, filter, gauge sensor, oil lines). General location was obtained by locating the drip. My next step is to toss some some UV dye in, break out the yellow specs and uv aware light and dig deeper. I can say that this appears to be triggered by an oil change I did. The prior owner really tightened down the filter and it took me about 2 hrs of slowly tapping the outer section of the filter with a chisel in order to get it to spin (I tried a strap but that just wasn't going to happen). So it appears there is a strong correlation with taking off the filter and creation of the oil leak. I wiped down areas nearest the filter and found nothing and that was my most immediate speculation, the drip is below this. I found this area hard to work on with the engine still in the boat and my mobility to poke around was limited. Are there some things that tend to surface as a cause more than others?

Anyone ever tried putting the lense of the yellow glasses over a camera or gopro to see if the UV dye will show up on video/pictures?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Try looking where the intake manifold meets the block at very back of engine. If a rubber strip was used on installation of intake manifold it's a common occurrence.
Also only seems to leak at higher RPM. It would tend to spray down the transom behind engine. You most likely would not see any leak unless running at higher RPM. Hope this helps you.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it a block mounted oil filter, or remote mounted? Did the oil filter gasket come off with the old filter? If not it could be stuck on the block and now you have a doubled gasket there which would probably leak.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a leak on a crimped side of the oil line to the remote oil filter adapter on the block.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the leak, it too was on the backside of a threaded/crimped brass fitting to a hose. It too was connected to the box the oil filter screws into. I had a hell of a time spinning the oil filter off and I must have moved tha box enough to expose what was probably already a week hose.

This does happen at idle too, but at idle I am running ~ 60 lb of pressure. Is this high for idle?, if so, how would I reduce this?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Your oil pressure is good. No worries

This winter you need to pull the power and drives and do some maintenance. General items and fix the leaks. I somewhat feel bad for you as every week there's a new thread you start about issue after issue. Best advice I can give you is surround yourself with people that can help guide you in fixing these problems or get your checkbook out.

Good luck.