Acceleration and efficiency

Notices

Acceleration and efficiency

Old 09-11-2016, 09:14 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the curve from the old engines. Note torque is read from right side, hp from left. Second pic is the final combo going back in. I ended up with the 1 in. spacer. 2 in. made a little more power but peakier/ not as broad.
Attached Thumbnails Acceleration and efficiency-imag0419.jpg   Acceleration and efficiency-imag2276.jpg  
Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
High Torque , Low Rpm Combo any Day for a Boat. Now on the other hand if you had the ability to shift , Low Torque, High Rpm would accelerate you faster if you can keep the revs up.
What would all that TQ be good for in a low RPM motor? acceleration? I don`t use my boat for tubing or drag racing... I want rpm since there`s no gears and the faster the prop spins the faster the boat goes.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Yep, I made the mistake of buying a brand new F350 Lariat with a 5.4 Gas engine. Felt fine around town. Hooked the boat to it, towed to loto, omg, what a dog. Dam thing spent most of the trip revving its azz off and got horrid mpg. Quickly traded that in for the 6.0L diesel. Power was way better, and mpg was better, then the engine problems began shortly after.
My 6.7 diesel gets 11.3 mpg at WOT pulling a 43' steel trailer with an almost 35' Fountain on it. Not sure of top speed cause I got cheated on the speedometer only goes up to 100. Truck really doesn't know the boat is behind it unless your running under 40 and lay into it because it starts wheel hopping real bad.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Wait what? You measure mpg at WOT? 11.3mpg @ WOT ?? I get like 4mpg pulling away at the light. so thats pretty impossible.
and who the hell goes over 100mph with a trailer in tow?? You trying to kill yourself or just everyone else on the road??
Jesus man., maybe lay off crack

Originally Posted by Black Baja
My 6.7 diesel gets 11.3 mpg at WOT pulling a 43' steel trailer with an almost 35' Fountain on it. Not sure of top speed cause I got cheated on the speedometer only goes up to 100. Truck really doesn't know the boat is behind it unless your running under 40 and lay into it because it starts wheel hopping real bad.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Wait what? You measure mpg at WOT? 11.3mpg @ WOT ?? I get like 4mpg pulling away at the light. so thats pretty impossible.
and who the hell goes over 100mph with a trailer in tow?? You trying to kill yourself or just everyone else on the road??
Sometimes you have to let it stretch its legs a little bit.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I was thinking of putting a supercharger on my 5.3 to help towing. Anyone here have experience with that?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its ok He has his boat strapped to the trailer
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Ha- I was driving home to Chicago 6 years ago from Corpis Christi TX, and some guy flew buy me around Dallas with a Ford F-350 towing a 35-38' Fountain. I thought I would catch up to it and check it out. I was doing 100+ and could barely catch the guy. Maybe it was Black Baja!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of people do that (with their GPS on) so people think they have a 100 mph boat
Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Lots of people do that (with their GPS on) so people think they have a 100 mph boat
Just make sure it's not a Livorsi... They don't work and you can't show everyone the tattle tale :-(