Wow I heard of msd issues. But dam.

Notices

Wow I heard of msd issues. But dam.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:29 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Could the distributors be stripped down and anodized or powdercoated? I'm using the t-bolt IV but I hear all the replacement parts for those are Chinese junk now.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Rob,
Yours look just like the 1 I had to replace in the Talon earlier this year, (MSD "Ready to Run" dist P/N: 83606). On the new dist. I took the cap off and coated the whole thing in Boeing T9...... We'll see how long it lasts...
Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad i sold mine and went w merc hall effect distributors and Daytona boxes! That is a shame !!!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Thunderbolts are the way to go, I had them on my Chief Blower Motors, made 700HP and never had an issue with them. I have seen them look terrible on some neglected boats, they looked like they came up from the bottom of the swamp and they still fired and did the job. MSD, you look at it funny, and POOF. Dead in the water...lol
Old 09-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree msd blows.

As SB stated, i used the crc coating on mine. Just had the cap off last week in loto, as i had a slight miss i was chasing. Distributor still looks brand new inside.

Sucks that you have to do it, but its 5 bucks for a can of the chit and takes 30 seconds to do, and it works.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine looked the same too....crapped out over Labor Day weekend.... Ordered new cap/rotor/ign pick-up/plugs....hopefully will fix the issue...
I want to take the boat to Key West again this year!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

If you google msd distributors it doesn't take long to find numerous auto forums to see the issues they've run across also and are questioning where they are manufactured. Very quickly within a few post on the few forums I looked up there is a member on each representing msd and quickly goes through the whole spiel of this that and the other thing. Personally I wouldn't use them if you gave them to me. All I seem to hear is problems with them. Well where are they at on this forum? I'd like to hear what they have to say.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559324[/ATTACH] o[ATTACH=CONFIG]559324[/ATTACH]h boy mail man brought me some tool and these today. Now some new distributers. And a little help from mark Mer . And hopefully the motors will roar again. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Wow I heard of msd issues. But dam.-image.jpg  
Old 09-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Registered

Oops I guess double posted the pic. I'm such a rookie at this.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I agree msd blows.

As SB stated, i used the crc coating on mine. Just had the cap off last week in loto, as i had a slight miss i was chasing. Distributor still looks brand new inside.

Sucks that you have to do it, but its 5 bucks for a can of the chit and takes 30 seconds to do, and it works.
I'd say it sucks is right. Top of the line chit shouldn't be bottom of the line with top of the line pricing. Those slip collar msd cost me 800 bucks or something close. Glad I got 40 hrs out of them. ����

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.