Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Aluminum heads >

Aluminum heads

Notices

Aluminum heads

Old 09-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a closed cooling system any alum. head will be fine. It won't know if it is on a boat or car motor. As far as performance goes that will take a little research to get the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:56 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Only thing that is aluminum that risks being warped or bent in a boat is beer cans. But, those usually get crushed.

Last edited by SB; 09-16-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
Only thing that is aluminum that risks being warped or bent in a boat is beer cans. But, those usually get crushed.
Lmao...!!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have seen a few alum props get some abuse...
Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
i have seen a few alum props get some abuse...
Thats not abuse, its custom lab work by amateurs.......
Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bondo
Ayuh,.... Many of Us are goin' to disagree with that guy,....

that's a Nice set of heads for a closed coolin' boat motor,....
thanxs... thats what I tought... i know bouat motors work hard but couldnt see any reason not to use them...

and yeah...I picked these heads because they should get me to my goal of 360hp and save me some weight. also want to pick my valves and springs so I went with bare heads.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
The SHP's are Dart's answer to the low buck chinese heads out there. Why are they cheaper ? Simple...old technology. IE: Old port and comb chamber designs from years back.

Both are a lower cost solution for those that want to be able to tell people they have aluminum heads on there engines, and again, staying away from Chinese castings.

That said, yes, better performance than standard cast iron heads...but, for a few dollars more, there is much better performance available. $1100-$1200 assembled for pair. Profiler, Brodix IK, and Trick Flow to name a few.
Im not going to argue that they are not the best performing...but they are better than vortec heads...and there aluminum...at the cost they are the most affordable bare heads that arent Chinese.

I dont want aluminum heads for bragging rights... although I prolly will bragg about them haha... I want aluminum mostly for the weight savings. I have this dream that with aluminum parts my 383 wont weigh anymore than the 4.3 thats in there now... a dream that gets more unlikely as I add more and more forged shiny stuff to the engine haha

these heads should get me past 400hp at a later date... or more. I like the idea of having some good parts that I can use later down the road for another boat...truck...car or whatever. better heads will perform better I know but prolly put me past what my tiny littly alpha drive can handle lol
Old 09-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
In this case do you think that he'd be ok using assembled heads, or should he build/rebuild them from scratch like the rest of us have been doing?
thats why I picked bare heads... I want to chose springs and valves and keepers... still trying to decide if I need to fork over the dough for inconel...
Old 09-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by goodboy
thanxs... thats what I tought... i know bouat motors work hard but couldnt see any reason not to use them...

and yeah...I picked these heads because they should get me to my goal of 360hp and save me some weight. also want to pick my valves and springs so I went with bare heads.
good for a little added compression also. Dissipate heat far better than cast. !!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goodboy
. still trying to decide if I need to fork over the dough for inconel...
That would be a very good idea. Pretty much required in a high perf marine engine.

Last edited by picklenjim; 09-16-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.