Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
The curse continues... Brand new coupler slipping? >

The curse continues... Brand new coupler slipping?

Notices

The curse continues... Brand new coupler slipping?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by distantthunder
Tom,

I am running the same coupler on my build and had some concerns with it being a Sierra but I have not had an issue. As far as the alignment goes, when I aligned my engine, I put a copious amount of grease of the end that slides in the coupler. I then insert lubed tool straight in and back out without rotating. I then inspect the grooves left in the grease from the splines on the coupler to see if the contact pattern is even all the way around. Is this how yours was completed? Is the new coupler centered on the flywheel? Is the flywheel true to the engine/crank? It looks like something was in a bind due to the rotational twist in there. I would assume your gimbal housing and all is in good order? This is going to be a difficult one to pinpoint as there is quite a few causes. Let's hope it was a defective coupler. Keep me posted buddy, I am sorry to hear about your troubles.
Josh,

That's pretty much what I did. I slathered grease on the coupler, and checked it. I checked it over and over.

I have a suspicion that the starboard rear mount failed because of my mistake with the washer falling out the last time. I think it went together and aligned properly, but as soon as I put some real engine torque to it, the rear of the engine dropped causing the coupler to go south. Granted, this is all conjecture at this point. I was pretty upset with it Sunday so I didn't dive too far into troubleshooting. I'll take a look at the gaps between the mounts this afternoon to verify.

What's amazing still is that the coupler stayed together for the day. I'm calculting that we put something like 28-30 miles on the boat Saturday. I just wasn't able to run her above about 3k RPM.

--

Yesterday, I looked at the stack up on both sides of the rear mounts. It doesn't look like anything has shifted, and both sides appear to have the same distance between the fiber washer and the bottom of the flywheel cover; there is no contact with the fiber washer on either side.

I have a low-hour coupler and another flywheel cover on the way courtesy of Sick Stinger. I'm hoping the weather cooperates so that we can get her back together again.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Again, I have the engine ready to be lifted up and out of the boat. Unfortunately, I'm becoming too much of an expert on this. Anyway, I took the drive off, and it was not much trouble to remove from the transom. Once the nuts were backed off, the drive started to separate from the bellhousing at the bottom. I used a small pry bar to help pull it off, but only because the trailer's height was set high in the front lessening my leverage (the skeg was on the ground).

Anyway, for grins I tried the alignment tool, and obviously, it was a no go. I'll try to shine a light down the gimbal bearing once it's dark to just see what might have changed. Interestingly, i took the rear mounting bolts out, and found that the starboard-side bolt was difficult to pull out of the housing. Usually, they'll slide out once the threads are disengaged; this one stayed finger tight with a noticeable bind every two or three turns. The port-side bolt came right out.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You changed the front mounts. They are slotted - possible one is off in the side to side direction.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
You changed the front mounts. They are slotted - possible one is off in the side to side direction.
They'd both have to be off then, wouldn't' they? The front mounts do no have any lateral adjustment (though I can relieve the mounting holes if needed). The engine was down on the transom assembly, bolted up, then the front mounting holes were drilled. It should have been right.

We'll check it again tomorrow and move the mounts laterally if needed (but I don't think this is the case).
Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Registered

The stock mounts and even the aftermarket solid ones ARE slotted - The mounting bolt holes have play. What I did was jack up the front of the motor using a bottle jack under the harmonic balancer I had already shimmed the rear mounts so they couldn't move in ANY direction. I then raised the front of the engine until the alignment tool said everything was perfect. I then raised the nuts on the front mounts until they were snug. I then tightened the mounting bolts for the front mounts and then tightened the top locking nuts on the front engine mounts. Double checked the alignment and I was done. without doing it this way it is easy to get the engine off level side to side.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Got it all set.

The right-rear motor mount was to blame. The mount slid a half inch under throttle. Originally, it all went back together fine, but under load it slipped. This was caused by not having the spring washer in the first time (the mount was damaged).

Everything is back together, the alignment tool went in with no issues and is parallel to the the engine's flat surfaces, and is square (horizontally) with the gimbal housing/transom assembly.

Only thing in need to be back on the water is a blower to manifold gasket.

What a long road!
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

patience and perseverance works almost every time. Glad you got it handled
Old 10-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It all goes back to assuming it was right. Had I checked the alignment back the first go-around, I would have found the issue with the missing washer. I may not have saved the mount, but I would have been able to save the cost of couplers and time r-n-r'ing the whole thing, three times!
Old 10-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
Got it all set.

The right-rear motor mount was to blame. The mount slid a half inch under throttle. Originally, it all went back together fine, but under load it slipped. This was caused by not having the spring washer in the first time (the mount was damaged).

Everything is back together, the alignment tool went in with no issues and is parallel to the the engine's flat surfaces, and is square (horizontally) with the gimbal housing/transom assembly.

Only thing in need to be back on the water is a blower to manifold gasket.

What a long road!
Well, I wished that I could report good news. I really am feeling cursed at this point.

Went to put the drive on today and found that the alignment was off. Seems that the alignment tool would go in but only in a couple of spots. Thought it was perfect, but unfortunately, the coupler I put in was bent. The alignment tool wobbles while running.

Unbelievable.

Another coupler is on the way, and I'll r&r it this week. From there, I'll have a local shop fool with the alignment. I'm done. Actually, I'm ready to sell this f'ing thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.