Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I do believe I got bit by my purchase... >

I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

Notices

I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

Old 10-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

1st thread here...hoping this site is helpful for my situation...Livin' in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

1992 Cobalt 243 originally with a 454/Bravo One...The boat had 244 hours on it total when I purchased it 2 months ago, but was advertised as only 20 hours on the Crate 502HO...Sweet. As I have discovered through paperwork inside the boat what appears to have happened was that there was a Crate 502 (Chevy not Merc) may have been installed in '09 2 owners ago, ran for 15 hours, sold to last owner when the motor started puking oil & had to take it in to Eastside Offshore Marine Service near Seattle...

The Eastside Offshore receipt (August 2011) showed that the motor would not turn over 4200 rpm & was way out of balance...Tore into it to find the wrong crank for a 502 + 2 recently replaced rods...They built the motor with a new crank, new cam & lifters, & showed a dyno break-in of 527HP/570TQ (not sure if these results were with the current Edelbrock RPM intake & Carb). So this was 5 years ago & 20 hours before I purchased it through a consignment that gave me a 30 day warranty for major defects.

So I've had the boat for 2+ months & put 11 hours on it when it started a major knock in the middle of the lake with some pretty good white cap weather...I limped in to the closest marina where I could secure it...then retrieve it with the truck & trailer later. I had tried to get a maintenance base line a few run-hours earlier with new spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, & fuel filter even though winterization was a week or two away. It ran great. On the last cruise I got it up to maybe 55 mph/4800 rpm for maybe 5 minutes...the rest of the time it was a pretty calm run. Oil pressure was great & running cool.

It's been at a pretty big shop but they are in that busy winterize/storage season so there has been a delay. The most experienced mechanic ran it in the tank & said it had a hard miss & thought the noise was in the valve-train...Next step is compression test to pin point the problem...How is that for luck? I'll update when I find out...
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to boating!

Old 10-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

BOAT break out another thousand,lol.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Welcome to boating!

Yep, 4th boat in 25 years...just never any catastrophic issues on the front end .
Old 10-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Just so you feel a little better... Took my compression last week, engines were all in like new condition, on my boat i owned for 2 years... Good news!
Last ride this w-end, wich was the first after the compression test... Broke a valve cruising at 3300 rpm and filled 3 gal of water...

Some here might say... Told you!!! End of my luck!!!

S..t happens, you just don t know when and why...
Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92cobalt243
1st thread here...hoping this site is helpful for my situation...Livin' in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

1992 Cobalt 243 originally with a 454/Bravo One...The boat had 244 hours on it total when I purchased it 2 months ago, but was advertised as only 20 hours on the Crate 502HO...Sweet. As I have discovered through paperwork inside the boat what appears to have happened was that there was a Crate 502 (Chevy not Merc) may have been installed in '09 2 owners ago, ran for 15 hours, sold to last owner when the motor started puking oil & had to take it in to Eastside Offshore Marine Service near Seattle...

The Eastside Offshore receipt (August 2011) showed that the motor would not turn over 4200 rpm & was way out of balance...Tore into it to find the wrong crank for a 502 + 2 recently replaced rods...They built the motor with a new crank, new cam & lifters, & showed a dyno break-in of 527HP/570TQ (not sure if these results were with the current Edelbrock RPM intake & Carb). So this was 5 years ago & 20 hours before I purchased it through a consignment that gave me a 30 day warranty for major defects.

So I've had the boat for 2+ months & put 11 hours on it when it started a major knock in the middle of the lake with some pretty good white cap weather...I limped in to the closest marina where I could secure it...then retrieve it with the truck & trailer later. I had tried to get a maintenance base line a few run-hours earlier with new spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, & fuel filter even though winterization was a week or two away. It ran great. On the last cruise I got it up to maybe 55 mph/4800 rpm for maybe 5 minutes...the rest of the time it was a pretty calm run. Oil pressure was great & running cool.

It's been at a pretty big shop but they are in that busy winterize/storage season so there has been a delay. The most experienced mechanic ran it in the tank & said it had a hard miss & thought the noise was in the valve-train...Next step is compression test to pin point the problem...How is that for luck? I'll update when I find out...
Where do you boat ? I'm right in the middle of the state.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
Just so you feel a little better... Took my compression last week, engines were all in like new condition, on my boat i owned for 2 years... Good news!
Last ride this w-end, wich was the first after the compression test... Broke a valve cruising at 3300 rpm and filled 3 gal of water...

Some here might say... Told you!!! End of my luck

Really? Your numbers looked good. Hours were high. Sorry I said go for it with all that luck you had. Sorry to hear that
Old 10-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

"Where do you boat ? I'm right in the middle of the state."

Coeur d'Alene Lake, mostly...Idaho

Last edited by 92cobalt243; 10-10-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32

Some here might say... Told you!!! End of my luck!!!

Wete you the guy asking about your motors that had 700 hours or 1200 hours on them?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

1233 hours! yes!
it is me!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.