What are the chances of getting parts back from a engine builder >

What are the chances of getting parts back from a engine builder

Notices

What are the chances of getting parts back from a engine builder

Old 11-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What are the chances of getting parts back from a engine builder

I am going to be looking at a boat in a couple of days. Naturally it's priced pretty cheap due to it needing a motor. So I talked to the seller and he said he had a motor fail this past summer. It's his first boat and he bought it with a bad motor. He bought one and it spun a bearing. So he sent the motor to the engine company to be fixed under warranty. Or so he thought. He got a call saying it he owed 2600 because it needed a new block. I really don't care about the engine. I care about all the accessories on the engine. He said it sent it down there with everything on it. I personally wouldn't have done that I would of sent a motor with the flywheel, distributor and carb. However, he did send all the little expensive things. My question is do you think if I buy this boat and get the guy to agree to contacting the builder and asking for just the accessories that are his back and they keep the motor that they will do it?

First off I would make the deal contingent on him getting the parts back and I will pay the shipping. I will make sure I have everything written and signed by a witness. My curiosity is do you think the builder would do that?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

No one will know that other then the builder who has the parts....only way your going to get an answer is to call him and try and work it out...its a 50/50 chance either way

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

IMO, If you want the goodies off the engine, the owner needs to get the engine in his possession, we don't need another thread on how someone got screwed by someone else.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Take $2600 off the asking price and you'll have a new motor with all of the accessories.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Registered

I have no intention on a thread of getting screwed I am going to try and price the boat according to what he doesn't have. I will see if he can get the accessories back from the machine shop and I will pay for the shipping of those and the storage fee if there is one. However I don't want to pay the bill for the motor since I don't need it. The company is Daddy O's marine in Ft. Lauderdale and I have done a quick search which revealed I would rather have my old engine that I know runs. I just need the stuff that bolts to it.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Not to be a jackass but if you don't talk to the guy in possession of said parts it really doesn't matter what we think or say. He'll either throw you out of his shop or sell you the stuff.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't sweat it. Price the boat minus an engine then buy one drop in ready and go from there
Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DBleil89
I have no intention on a thread of getting screwed I am going to try and price the boat according to what he doesn't have. I will see if he can get the accessories back from the machine shop and I will pay for the shipping of those and the storage fee if there is one. However I don't want to pay the bill for the motor since I don't need it. The company is Daddy O's marine in Ft. Lauderdale and I have done a quick search which revealed I would rather have my old engine that I know runs. I just need the stuff that bolts to it.
If its 2600 for the engine and its got a bunch of new stuff you will be far ahead of the game to just pay it now.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

What kinda boat/engine are we talking about here?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Registered

It's a 1990 cobalt 223. It's not an expensive boat. I don't want the motor due to I know I have one that works already. I don't want to spend 2600 for a motor I know nothing about. My motor is just a long block, so I need all the brackets and accessories. 2600 is a lot to pay for just old accessories. I did get ahold of the engine builder with the boat owners concent. He stated that he will have to talk to the owner of the shop about it. Also that he has to talk to the seller of the boat and verify he is finished with the boat and isn't going to pay for the motor. So we will see how the everything goes. I'm going to look at the boat tomorrow and see if I even want it. I'm looking to buy this and sell my VIP. The VIP was a cheap boat just bought for parts, I just decided to keep it so I had a boat docked. It has served it's purpose and I'm ready for a better quality boat. Where I live a 24ft boat is the biggest I can get up my street so im limited . Also I'm good at working on boats and fixing them so I prefer to buy them cheap and broken this way I can make it how I want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.