Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lets play the HP guessing game >

Lets play the HP guessing game

Notices

Lets play the HP guessing game

Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on what your goal is, that cam might be super. Sounds like a nice 500 hour (top end), 500 HP, $500+ in component savings over the obligatory Crane HR, Isky, Morel/Johnson set up.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you referring to my current cam (xm284hr)
Originally Posted by SB
750's are for small blocks.
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Depending on what your goal is, that cam might be super. Sounds like a nice 500 hour (top end), 500 HP, $500+ in component savings over the obligatory Crane HR, Isky, Morel/Johnson set up.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Agree. I mean sure its a little light, but should have no problem making 525+hp, and live a long time. Not every build is looking for max power possible.

As far as comp cams goes, I helped a buddy pick out a custom cam from comps master lobe catalog. Called comp, placed the order. Within minutes, a detailed spec sheet of the grind parameters was emailed out. Less than a week later, two custom billet hyd rollers with iron gears delivered , for quite a bit less than a off the shelf crane cam
Old 11-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mggdoors
Are you referring to my current cam (xm284hr)
Yes. Nothing wrong with that cam if you want to be around 500 HP....with its .547 lift and slightly more gross duration, you can use stock GM lifters, lighter springs, push rods, and probably even plain old long slotted steel rockers (i.e. zz502). I think your reliability/durability would be excellent and a good match for a Bravo drive. 450-500 HP and sub 5500 RPM is a good plan if you want to keep from serial wrenching on Merc I/O Bravo setup.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

It funny you bring up slotted 502 rockers. Thats what I run. I dont personally trust roller rockers and have only ever used in high lift applications beyond the parameters of stamped. Had 2 seperate occasions in past that roller rockers failed.
Yes. Nothing wrong with that cam if you want to be around 500 HP....with its .547 lift and slightly more gross duration, you can use stock GM lifters, lighter springs, push rods, and probably even plain old long slotted steel rockers (i.e. zz502). I think your reliability/durability would be excellent and a good match for a Bravo drive. 450-500 HP and sub 5500 RPM is a good plan if you want to keep from serial wrenching on Merc I/O Bravo setup.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Registered

Btw 550 is my goal at 5600. Trying to jump from 26 bravo to 30 to get mid to high 80s
Old 11-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Registered

Didnt you do a build with the EQ 320 heads??
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Agree. I mean sure its a little light, but should have no problem making 525+hp, and live a long time. Not every build is looking for max power possible.

As far as comp cams goes, I helped a buddy pick out a custom cam from comps master lobe catalog. Called comp, placed the order. Within minutes, a detailed spec sheet of the grind parameters was emailed out. Less than a week later, two custom billet hyd rollers with iron gears delivered , for quite a bit less than a off the shelf crane cam
Old 11-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Ok so lets say I do the mill on the heads.
Why mill a perfectly good head for only 0.7 compression. Bore notch and cleaning up your chambers might help the detonation more than lowering compression 0.7
Old 11-03-2016, 03:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Why mill a perfectly good head for only 0.7 compression. Bore notch and cleaning up your chambers might help the detonation more than lowering compression 0.7
I agree with milling the head to gain a small bump in compression. Although I don't think it's a bad idea to re-surface the heads if needed to get the proper ra for the gaskets being used and make sure the heads are flat. Milling heads can potentionally disrupt air flow due to the change in the combustion chamber and be counter productive. So you think you will gain power when in reality you end up loosing.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Didnt you do a build with the EQ 320 heads??
I did. But , i had some porting work done to them, and it was a supercharged build.