Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine builder wants $3000 more for Merlin block? >

Engine builder wants $3000 more for Merlin block?

Notices

Engine builder wants $3000 more for Merlin block?

Old 11-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am so glad I am able to build my own stuff. I am SO happy with my new 598.
I have about $20,000 in parts and machining into it. and that is with me doing the assembly.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 11-04-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for everyon's input.
Todd
Old 11-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Baja
For $13,000 it needs to make 850hp and be able to go 300hours without even flinching. This guy is a total idiot if he plans on handing over to you a motor with no ignition, no carb and no dyno tunning. Any builder worth .02 cents doesn't hand a motor over to the customer not tuned.

It cost a builder about $10,000 in parts for a long block. Nice parts. That's with a good set of aluminum heads. Carb and ignition another $1,500. Labor for Machine work $1,000 is on the very highend for this kind of build. This is a bolt together kind of motor and should take no longer than one day to assemble the motor. A day on the dyno $5-600. That's $13,000 roughly. With the use of the Engine Quest heads take $3,000 of the cost of the build. Now we are back to $10,000 this is with new everything... But the builder has to make a living. $1,000 for assembling the Engine (1 day work).
Are you saying 1000$ for machine work total is high? Have you priced mallory metal lately? Even on new top shelf parts, machining and balancing a long block is at least 1500$ without assembly, and that would be bargain basement
Old 11-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by murfman
Are you saying 1000$ for machine work total is high? Have you priced mallory metal lately? Even on new top shelf parts, machining and balancing a long block is at least 1500$ without assembly, and that would be bargain basement
I pay $650 for a block to go through a RMC CNC finish on a Rottlet CNC Vertical Diamond Hone and Balance. Mallory isn't that much a lot of Machine shops lead you to believe it is so they can charge you ridiculous money for a $150 balance job. Oh and that's for a balance on a Sunnen Computirized balance with a center balance. That's what I pay for extremely nice top shelf machining. And it doesn't take months to get it done. 5 day turn around. I usually drop off on a Saturday and pick up on a Saturday.