Freevalve Update - Camless Engine

Notices

Freevalve Update - Camless Engine

Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Funny thing is, I still have that engine and it runs. Perhaps we are overthinking these boat engines.
Nah. mid 80's to early 90's I couldn't keep my Olds motor together valvetrain wise...even with all the Mondello parts...but then again going with larger than I should have 'Beast' cams from Crower and going to 7k or so wasn't smart with Olds stuff. Finally made switch to Chevies that could handle that for millions less $$$$ and not break.....trans, drive shafts, ujoints, and rear ends different story with the added power...lol.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Electric valve actuators are an old idea. Will it ever be viable? I don't know but for me it evokes memories of the Wankel engine.
If the solenoids are anything like what we use in the aerospace industry they will never be a long term solution. We have tons of problems with them in vibratory environments. The pedestals wear, creates debris, and the current required for them to operate always exceeds what they are given. Constant failures.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Back in '82 I stuffed a fireball in my '76 Chrysler Cordobas 8:1 400 in February with no garage cuz the plastic upper timing gear stripped. My first ever cam change lol Ahhh the good old days 😉 Dumbass kid
Funny I had one with a 360,,,,,,,, "fine Corinthian leather" lol
Old 11-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

They used 48v to actuate the injectors on the 6.0powerstroke. If they could use solenoids to control the injection, it should work on valves.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think this would greatly improve valve life. The valves could be closed with less force and there would be no lash adjust. The cam profile would be infinitely variable.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv-system.html This is something a little different that has been in development by an NJ company for about 15yrs or so , as I recall from 1st hearing about it. Looks they they finally hit it huge with a $100 mil licensing agreement for a Chinese company to mass produce.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
They used 48v to actuate the injectors on the 6.0powerstroke. If they could use solenoids to control the injection, it should work on valves.
High pressure oil as well on the 6.0