Hard start 540 whipplecharged

Notices

Hard start 540 whipplecharged

Old 11-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_p999
I don't think that's what the problem would be, these motors are multi port injected below the intercooler so getting fuel down there should be instantaneous upon cranking. (unless) - I think it's what Teague is saying - must be an issue with air pockets in the rail / regulator.
Does it fire the lower set of injectors all the time or do the come on under load like a staged injection set up. Just idle on the top injectors?
Old 11-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.3 and 3.3 whipples injectors are at top. They are not in lower intake they get moved to under the throttle body all 8 in a row.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Registered

A picture would solve most of these questions. Whipple's are generally rear-port injected, but they do make a port injected intake now as well. The general consensus is that with the rear mount injectors, the fuel has to travel further on initial start up like Haxby said. This is common with everyone I know running a Whipple.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Yes, I'm old enough to say I worked on newer vehicles that many had a cold start injector. Sounds like what these needed.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Registered

Well as long as I'm not the only one I'm not that worried anymore ! I'm still going to look into it and do some more diagnosing in the spring time as she's winterized and in the barn for the winter.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Registered

Could be a leaking injector which could let fuel siphon back to the tank, letting air into the fuel rail. Whipple recommends removing the spring check (antisiphon) valve at the tank to improve fuel flow. If you get a leak at a higher point (like an injector), then fuel in the rail and lines could siphon back, causing an air pocket in the fuel system. Since most setups do not have a return to the tank, this air can only be purged thru the injectors, and the injectors have to be opening (during cranking) to get the air purged out. Only running the fuel pump will not purge this air like it would in a return to tank system would.