Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Daytona Ignition data logging. Engine tuning. >

Daytona Ignition data logging. Engine tuning.

Notices

Daytona Ignition data logging. Engine tuning.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Daytona Ignition data logging. Engine tuning.

For some of you EFI guys, this topic is probably pretty juvenile, so bear with me. I know some guys have bought, or interested in the Daytona boxes, for their features. Some, have bought them, and not yet even got into the custom maps, let alone data logging.

In the past, before I had daytona boxes, I'd simply go for a speed run, and try and remember what my gauges read. Was it 6lbs of boost, was it 5600rpm or 5700rpm, were the engines identical to each other?

With the data logging feature , you can focus on driving the boat, and go back later and look at the data. I just went over my data logs today, from last months speed run.

Port Engine
5,900RPM
8.9lbs boost
33* Timing

Starboard engine
6100RPM
8.1lbs boost
35* timing

Now, when you look at that, you will first notice, the port engine is 2* of timing less, than the STB. 35* is what I had programmed into this particular map. When you use a magnetic trigger setup, like an MSD distributor uses, there can be a delay in spark timing. The daytona software, allows you to compensate for high rpm timing retard. So, with this information, I would want to increase my "trigger timing compensation" setting, about 2 degrees.

Next, you'll notice I am also showing a difference of about .8lbs of boost between the two engines. My guess on why this is, is maybe I have one blower a little looser clearanced than the other. Or maybe its something else. There is also about a 200RPM difference between the engines at wot. I know it isn't the props, since on this data log, I adjust the timing on the stb engine, and now its pulling slightly more rpm than the port, where before, it was pulling slightly less.

This data, was what I averaged out, over 10 seconds of time. The data itself, or rather what the engine is doing, is not cut and dry like you would think. The boost gauge in your boat, isn't taking several samples per second, your tachometers aren't taking several samples per second, and so on. So , when you look at the data, the RPM can go from 5700 to 6400, within a few milliseconds. IMO, this is probably exactly what happens when out on the water. We are not dealing with a direct drive, the propellers are always slipping to some extent. You may never hear it, nor ever see it on your tachs at high speed, but I think its certainly happening, especially if your props are piercing the surface a bit.

My point of posting this, is to show just another cool feature of this ignition. It really helps when you are trying to dial in your setup. I noticed on the previous run, where I had went 95mph (this data was from 96mph run), was that my RPM was higher when I went 95mph. What changed? My trim setting. I went faster, with slightly less trim, than the earlier run. You can also tie in your wideband to the daytona box, and log the air fuel ratios as well. I have not done that yet, but plan to.

These boxes have so much more to offer than your typical msd or merc igntion. If your someone who likes to tinker and tune your old carb engines, esp supercharged ones, they really are worth the money , in my opinion. The docking mannerisms, from idle timing adjustablity, is amazing.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at these, what distributor are you running? Also where did you mount your boxes and how do you pull data and make changes?
Old 11-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Hey Rob.

Im running a MSD pro billet distributor, but you can use a merc distributor as well. Changes and data logging is done thru a laptop, that you plug your usb cable into the actual box.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Hey Rob.

Im running a MSD pro billet distributor, but you can use a merc distributor as well. Changes and data logging is done thru a laptop, that you plug your usb cable into the actual box.
And you have manifold pressure going to the box as well I assume?
Old 11-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

anybody w/ a carb set up should seriously think about getting one,2 or you psychos w/ 3 engines,,3.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
And you have manifold pressure going to the box as well I assume?
Yes. Thats correct rob
Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Registered

These ignition boxes are a game changer for supercharged carb'd engines . They are a
MUST if you want to have real tuneabilty . ALL car manufacturers have been using electronic timing control since the early 90's but for some reason the boating community thinks that locked in timing or a linear rpm based timing curve is ok. It's not ok .
Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Joe, I have not used the data logging feature yet but will get into it for sure next season, and tie in the O2sensors, But I have built many 2D timing maps for my specific engine set ups, and actually built and tested one specifically for my 4 blades and one for my 5blades. Cant wait to get data from them for each set of props next year. As said by others, these units are a must!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patienly waiting ..... Looking like next summer here .. Sounds like kool stuff ..
Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

our open class engines from Sterling all had data logging. they used EFI Technologies system which is what the Formula 1 teams were using at the time so they had a lot that we did not use. the stuff we did use would give you more info than you knew what to do with. if you spend the time to really look stuff over you will learn a lot that you would not normally think of. one of the biggest for us was that in calm water you would keep pulling back the throttle to keep the engine off the rev limiter and we found that by the end of the straight away (back when offshore meant a straight longer than a 1/4 mile) we were running 7800 rpm at 160 mph and 50% throttle. unfortunately there was no real place in the program for that as you could not dyno them in that same condition so we had to write in a fuel map for that to keep from burning the engines down.