Hp3  GM  racing 2005   525 motor >

Hp3 GM racing 2005 525 motor

Notices

Hp3 GM racing 2005 525 motor

Old 11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hp3 GM racing 2005 525 motor

Anybody know longetivity of these GM Racing 525 motors?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Hog
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post #6 by Rage sums it up best when talking about the GEN VII BBC HP3 Vortec 8.1 engine.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ne-496-gm.html

"The finalized HP3 as described above is extremely robust. One unit is still being campained after numerous seasons with no issues."

Nice engine, but politics kept it from being offered by GMPP(now Chevrolet Performance Parts). Page #46 of the 2003 issue of the General Motors Performance Parts catalogue sure got a lot of people excited. 525+hp@5200rpm/560+lb/ft torque@4000rpm all with a 9.1:1 compression ratio and 87 octane fuel.

The "truck" engine that competed with the "Black" race engines. The Black racing engine compay wasn't having any of it.

peace
Hog
Old 12-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hog, Sounds like you were around back in the Vortec days
These were the engines we raced in APBA Super-V and Super-V lite class with great results! They were a longer stroke than the 502 engines. We turned these things 6 grand plus, (much to the terror of the GM Factory guys that were at each race for factory support) and I don't remember anyone grenading one. In fact, at the end of the season GM / APBA gave awards for the engines with the most hours.
Couple of years later, Ernie Pollock and I won the A class National Championship using one of these GM Vortec HP-3 engines.

Last edited by Gordo; 12-16-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Are you buying one or are you building one? If you are buying it it might make sense if its a good deal. If you are building it, the PV clearance is a little close for something you run every weekend. IMHO

Get Rage involved, he can help...

I built one and the PV scared me. Of course, with differnt pistons it may change but stock - it was scary for me.