Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid roller adjustments or check intervals? >

Solid roller adjustments or check intervals?

Notices

Solid roller adjustments or check intervals?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Valtrain stability plays an important role, the better your setup the longer you can go between lashes, shaft rockers, etc. should be able to make it a season easy.

Tim do you mind editing your question to "How often do you check and how often are adjustments actually made?" It would be interesting to hear the difference between just checking them and having to actually adjust them. Might help you make a decision.
the adjusting of the lash is the easy part,pulling the exhaust is the biitch.imo it is not worth the effort when today,s hyd roller cams can make the same power [when everything works as it should].i would hands down go solid roller if the exhaust did not need to be removed for lash check&adjustment.edit in,saying should go all season with shaft mounted system is maybe misleading,it depends on how often the boat gets used,from what i have read tim is out almost every weekend so lash check will probibally need to be checked more than once a year imo.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-01-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Exactly. And you minus well leak it down while your at it.
and since you are in there may as well change the plugs and the oil also.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
If you run a stud girdle(recommended) and run and get good and hot the 1st time go back and do your adj. you should be able to go 100 hrs if using good parts in my opinion
due to the exhaust needing to be removed to access the valve covers the lash check&adjustment will be on cold parts.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
and since you are in there may as well change the plugs and the oil also.
That's bi-weekly maintenance
Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I average 50-60 hours a season if they do t break usually 80-100... All depends lol

That being said I don't mind pulling engines once a season but not 3-4 times...just looking at making things reliable and solids don't break or have hydraulic issue, I have not had any issues since a lifter factory Gm years ago, but while I am buying parts again I want to do it right this time. The short travel hydraulic is an option or just leaving as is with cam changes among other things being done
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess overall HP difference plays a role, we talking 10 hp? 30? It all adds up so looking at it all.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Registered

at this point if i were you i would worry a little less about overall power and would look for overall reliability,it would be better for your mental health and your marrage.edit in,i also believe you will do better if you find ONE person you trust and go with what he sais.i do think randy is a sharp guy and not just truing to sell his parts,before you buy any more parts,talk to him.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-01-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran a big solid roller cam for over 10 years and generally adjusted the lash once a year.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh I totally agree, my buddy Bill is handling it and his final say is what I get, I am asking just because it's an option, bill prefers solids in most things for the fact they don't have moving parts so to speak, that being said he's ok using hydraulics in my case for or one I have tnem already, and 2... No adjusting needed... I was curious if it's worth it to go extra mile for solids that's all.

Originally Posted by mike tkach
at this point if i were you i would worry a little less about overall power and would look for overall reliability,it would be better for your mental health and your marrage.edit in,i also believe you will do better if you find ONE person you trust and go with what he sais.i do think randy is a sharp guy and not just truing to sell his parts,before you buy any more parts,talk to him.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Once a season. I would get 200 hrs out of a set of rollers. Replaced them and threw the old in the garbage. One year I tried going 250 hours and lost a lifter... Amount of hours you can go will depend on the cam. This is what I used to run. I ran .018 lash. It was very mild by solid roller standards but made good power and cams were in there for two engine rebuilds before going hydraulic; http://www.cranecams.com/product/car...detail&p=24627

I got sick and tired of lashing valves and went hydraulic a few years ago. The outside manifolds I left the tailpipes bolted up and just unbolted the manifold from the head. The insides had to come completely apart because I have 32 1/2" centers.

If you want to make all out power though, solid is the way to go. And be prepared for a noisy engine room if you're not used to the sound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.