Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid roller adjustments or check intervals? >

Solid roller adjustments or check intervals?

Notices

Solid roller adjustments or check intervals?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Solid roller adjustments or check intervals?

Still might go solids, how often in reality are you guys checking lash? I would have to completely remove exhaust manifolds every time that's why I ask, otherwise I don't care really.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run a stud girdle(recommended) and run and get good and hot the 1st time go back and do your adj. you should be able to go 100 hrs if using good parts in my opinion
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every Monday
Old 12-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was to put solid rollers in a boat I would only use some sort of shaft rocker system. From my experience I do not have to adjust as often or the adjustments are much less with shaft rockers over something with stud girdles. Plus you also get better valve train stability. I have used Jesel and T&D but these look pretty trick http://www.rgracing.com/products.asp and have a friend putting a set on his new build.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Every Monday
if you start early on monday you should be ready for the weekend by friday nite,lol.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Valtrain stability plays an important role, the better your setup the longer you can go between lashes, shaft rockers, etc. should be able to make it a season easy.

Tim do you mind editing your question to "How often do you check and how often are adjustments actually made?" It would be interesting to hear the difference between just checking them and having to actually adjust them. Might help you make a decision.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe540
If I was to put solid rollers in a boat I would only use some sort of shaft rocker system. From my experience I do not have to adjust as often or the adjustments are much less with shaft rockers over something with stud girdles. Plus you also get better valve train stability. I have used Jesel and T&D but these look pretty trick http://www.rgracing.com/products.asp and have a friend putting a set on his new build.
for the power output tim will have a stud mounter rocker with a stud girdle will be fine as long as the valve trane is stable but i agree that a steel shaft mounted system is better,just a lot more money.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
if you start early on monday you should be ready for the weekend by friday nite,lol.
Exactly. And you minus well leak it down while your at it.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

Based on my experience of taking care of a 6,000 rpm solid roller valvetrain in a boat for the last 5 years I have seen no advantage durability wise going from a stud mount rocker with no girdle to a shaft mount system that cost $2200. The lifters in the stud mount were pulled out after 2 full seasons of punishment and they were still beautiful. New lifters were installed T&D shafts same camshaft and we didn't make it 2 full season and lost a lifter.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the valve seats deteriorate at just the right rate you might luck out and never have to adjust them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.