Hydraulic vs hydraulic roller. >

Hydraulic vs hydraulic roller.

Notices

Hydraulic vs hydraulic roller.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Yup, those cam specs are pretty good. To replace a flat tappet cam that has been run for a lot and is in good shape, shouldn't have to be over wear concerns. just keep putting in good fortified oil in it.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I ran hyd rollers with aggressive loves for years and seemed like those days were so simple yet making good power. I've built and ran several hyd flat tappets with great success. That 561 which is the 502/465 hp cam if I'm not mistaking is the last hyd flat tappet I used with 0 failures. Never wiped out a lobe or lifter. Always broke in in correctly though. Maybe just lucky however with that said I know the oils aren't what they use to be lacking zinc etc. 731 cam as mentioned will make more power but if your on a budget the other will work. I made 480 plus with that cam on a 9.6:1 comp in a 454 but ya probably over 500 with same set up using a 731.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'd have to disagree. I say, leave it alone and run it. If you want to go faster, save the 1200 plus dollars you'll spend on roller cam and lifters, sell the 177 blower, and take the 1200 bucks, and proceeds from the 177 sale, and put on a bigger blower.

Having played with a similar engine over the years, in many forms, I could tell you first hand, the power lies in the induction and heads.

Don't get me wrong, if you were rebuilding, and tearing it all down, a roller upgrade is nice. But, to tear it all apart, to gain maybe 25-30hp, IDK. As far as reliabilty, in case anyone missed it, there has been tons of issues with hydraulic "roller" lifters. They are not without issue. If you have 60 trouble free hours now, I'd say you're probably doing ok with the setup. jmo
That's the answer I needed. More power in front of a regular bravo is not an option. If I am out of the woods, and it will hold up, I'll keep on keepin on.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the 35 years i have had motors apart and worked on cars, boats I have only seen one fail on a flat tappet cam. 1977 camaro 305 with lots of miles. The 305s ate cams for some reason. Even my 575 sci that was 10 years old had minimal wear on the cam and lifters. I think the lobes were within 7 thousands of factory spec if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just cause mo fo's don't know how to build a motor . They are afraid to round off a lobe on break in. All you gots ta do is put a mark on the pushrod with a bkack marker before you put the intake on . Spin it over and make sure all the pushrods are spinning .