Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stem Pocket Lines on 502 MPI Intake >

Stem Pocket Lines on 502 MPI Intake

Notices

Stem Pocket Lines on 502 MPI Intake

Old 12-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the polished dart w/TB rails, injectors I ran on my procharged 509 will make you a deal on..
Old 12-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Question.... Several years ago had 502 MPIs rebuilt as 540s 500hp by a big name shop. #7 leaned out twice on one motor and once on the other causing the piston to fail with first 6-10hrs. These were Dyno tuned and no corners cut anywhere. The "fix" by the builder later on (he did stand behind his work) was a larger injector in #7.

Just curious what your guys thoughts are? Sold the power after it was last fixed disclosing all info as faith was lost in it.
My thoughts are ( I am by no means an expert just a carpenter that works on boats for a hobby! ). I was pushing my luck by running 10 lbs. boost on the stock iron heads. My set up is the 7 lb. pulley from Procharger. Which does boost 7 lbs. at 5200 rpm, but I can turn 5800 rpm which put me at 10 lbs. boost.

I think that #7 usually runs leanest on a 502 mag. That is what my plug checks tell me. So it was the first cylinder to get hot enough to tulip a valve. I have made all the modifications to my fuel rail to support the Procharger.

Top of the piston looks great, cylinder walls look great, and the piston will still rock in its bore. I am going with Dart 325 aluminum heads with some slight chamber work and possibly a pulley swap.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I have the polished dart w/TB rails, injectors I ran on my procharged 509 will make you a deal on..
I do have a lot of time and money into my stock intake but may be interested. Can you send me a pic and price. Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Registered

Look up inside the fuel rail where the injectors push in. The fuel opening inside the rail is not fully drilled like all the other injector holes. I open the hole up with a small ball carbide cutter. Your rail may be limiting the fuel flow. I have pictures if you send me info to send them.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I recently rebuilt and dynoed a slightly modified 502 MPI with mefi3 to sell my baja with, i have a daytona 8 pack individual 02 sensor system on my dyno, i found a strange anomaly in the stock mpi mapping, no matter what i did one batch was 1 1/2 points to 3 points leaner from 3000 to 4200, then they matched up the same from 4200 to 4800 then the opposite batch that was previously richer went lean the same, i literally had 4 cylinders at 12.0 +/- .5 and 4 cylinders at 14 to 15 +/-.5 at 5500, i swapped ecus, harnesses, watched both batches with a oscilliscope, swithched to a mefi4 harness and ecu, bought a injector flow machine and came up with 8 injectors that all matched, regrounded the **** out of everything, swapped batches around, you name it. In the end it followed the batches, was NOT mechanical or in intake design, i found a flag set different in tune compared to a 500 efi tune called skip double fire, changed it and afrs matched up. I posted all this previously, talked to several tuners who DONT have individual 02 sensors who never seen or heard of it. After they matched up the whole tune was lean since i think it was now double firing all the injectors. There is dead band on all injectors, ie if pw is set to 10 milliseconds they take .5 to .7 ms to open and close where no fuel flows, so when you double fire them you have 2 deadbands so tune needed .5 to .7 ms added to get it back to target afrs. I cant tell you why it did it as ecus were swapped, harnesses, etc, in end it was wrote into the tune. I ultimately made 560+ hp/ 589 ft lbs tq from 502 w 500efi cam, bored out throttle body, highly modified lower 502 manifold and amateur ported iron factory heads. Fwiw, all motors should have injectors flowed and be dynoed w 8 02 sensors, other wise your just pizzing in the wind. Tailpipe 02 sensors would hide this as ypur readings would average beyween 2 and 2 of each batch, it could be checked however in a boat by simply running batch a on 1,3,5,7 and b on 2,4,6,8 temporarily with 02 sensor in each tailpipe, you would be surprised what ypu might see!! And btw, motor made SAME exact hp with batch a down even side, batch b down odd side and batches on opposite injectors of what they are supposed to be on, fwiw, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 12-11-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by No Coast
Look up inside the fuel rail where the injectors push in. The fuel opening inside the rail is not fully drilled like all the other injector holes. I open the hole up with a small ball carbide cutter. Your rail may be limiting the fuel flow. I have pictures if you send me info to send them.
And yes, on earlier mefi 1 and 2 motors #7 rail feed hole has a smaller hole, the mefi3s are all same size that i have seen
Old 12-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by No Coast
Thanks, I already performed that modification.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a pic
Old 12-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
here's a pic
Looks very nice. What size injectors? PM me a price. Thank you
Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Looks very nice. What size injectors? PM me a price. Thank you
That's what you need Hadley........Would notice a nice gain over the MPI intake. A lot sexier too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.