Notices

Solid roller lifters?

Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
2 motors Isky .904 bushed .765" lift 6,500 rpm .000 change in lash 4 seasons
2 motors Isky .904 bushed .765" lift 7,500 rpm .000 change in lash 4 seasons
1 motor Morel .904 needles .721" lift 6,200 rpm all the time stud rockers no girdle .000 change 200 hours
1 motor Comp Elite .904 needles .721" lift 6,200 rpm end of second season failure at the ramp
1 race boat motor Jesel .842 needles .800" lift 6,500 rpm 6 race seasons .000 change in lash. These lifters were in a pleasure boat motor for unknown hours b4 they were put in the race motor.

We have a/b tested the Isky lifters same dyno same day and they are down 30hp over needles. Are they nice? Yes. Do they rob power yes. However if you are going to do regular maintenance. I don't see that they are needed. If you are of the lazy type with maintenance I think they are a better option. All depends on the owner and how much they care about there boat. Myself I prefer Jesel's in my own stuff. I don't mind running through the valves every week. I don't think there is one brand
Lifter that is a fits all. You have to look at the entire package. We run a MINIMUM of 7/16" .160 wall pushrods in everything sometimes 1/2" on the exhaust even 1/2" dual taper on the intake. DO NOT used 3/8" pushrods and any kind of camshaft. We also use Titanium Retainers and Titanium locks in everything. We have a boat with a pair of 1200hp turbo motors with the same Titanium Retainers for 15 years. Actually I borrowed the locks out of the one motor to put my new heads together. And they are 15 years old. The key to success is a well matched package. You can spend all the money on everything but if the package doesn't work together you are not going to be a happy camper. Keep the oil pressure up at idle. If you have to turn the idle up. And don't idle for long periods of time. I think this contributes to longer life. Basically run the piss out of it as often as possible...

What I'm hearing here is regardless of bushed robbing power you prefer them over needle unless their Jessel. Regardless 904 over 842 is a plus and you really can't go wrong with isky's or morels or others like crower severe duty etc that come from morel.

Given I'm a weekend boater go out for either a few hours and run reasonably hard with a few stops. Or long distance runs cruising at 3,500. Very little idle time. We have very short channel and litterally on Lake Michigan in 5 minutes. I rarely idle under 1,200 unless docking and really trying to pizz somebody off. I do my own maintenance and very particular with annual tear downs regardless. Check valve lash, bearings, lifters, spring pressures, rockers. Pretty basic.

So needle or bushed?? Although Jessel builds a fantastic lifter their not in budget.

I heard the bushed was a little more finicky with oil brand/weight etc. frequent oil changes due to dirty oil wearing on bushing however I do frequent oil changes anyway.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Registered

Btw gonna stay with . 842. If other than a weekender for two three months out of the year or was building all out race engines I'd without a doubt go larger.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
What I'm hearing here is regardless of bushed robbing power you prefer them over needle unless their Jessel. Regardless 904 over 842 is a plus and you really can't go wrong with isky's or morels or others like crower severe duty etc that come from morel.

Given I'm a weekend boater go out for either a few hours and run reasonably hard with a few stops. Or long distance runs cruising at 3,500. Very little idle time. We have very short channel and litterally on Lake Michigan in 5 minutes. I rarely idle under 1,200 unless docking and really trying to pizz somebody off. I do my own maintenance and very particular with annual tear downs regardless. Check valve lash, bearings, lifters, spring pressures, rockers. Pretty basic.

So needle or bushed?? Although Jessel builds a fantastic lifter their not in budget.

I heard the bushed was a little more finicky with oil brand/weight etc. frequent oil changes due to dirty oil wearing on bushing however I do frequent oil changes anyway.
I would do crane or morel you don't run hard long your real hours at cruse think you will get a lot of time out of a set of lifters with no worries as long as spring pressure is responsible low. That's my though. Think you could go150hrs on lifters without a problem. Have you had any failures?

Last edited by 14 apache; 12-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Didnt morel make the solid roller lifters for crower ?
Originally Posted by Black Baja
Johnson
Even back in the day? Like say, a few years ago? I thought the crower solids had bigger wheels and fork style lifter even in the .842 diameters up till recently? I know the hydraulic crowers my buddy had bought several years back, were .750 wheel fork body. They looked like the morel. I never put them side by side on a bench to compare though.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
I would do crane or morel you don't run hard long your real hours at cruse think you will get a lot of time out of a set of lifters with no worries as long as spring pressure is responsible low. That's my though. Think you could go150hrs on lifters without a problem. Have you had any failures?
Only failures I've had were with hyd roller lifters. And it wasn't the rollers... I use a very reputable machine/speed shop and they still use cranes to this day with great success. They've been using them since mid 80's til current. I kinda forgot about that to be honest.

Btw I might drop the hammers and buzz across Lake Michigan from time to time but that's only 65-70 miles.

Last edited by getrdunn; 12-07-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What rpm when you go 65miles?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:56 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Low spring pressure will cause more lifter problems than high pressure. Jumping over the nose or bouncing off the set takes the bearings out and hammers through the cams hard surface. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Even back in the day? Like say, a few years ago? I thought the crower solids had bigger wheels and fork style lifter even in the .842 diameters up till recently? I know the hydraulic crowers my buddy had bought several years back, were .750 wheel fork body. They looked like the morel. I never put them side by side on a bench to compare though.
Its getting near impossible to keep this straight anymore. So much buying out and or merging and brother sister companies it's rediculous. Ya know. I was pretty certain crower SD were morel lifters also at least a few years ago anyway.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GPM
Low spring pressure will cause more lifter problems than high pressure. Jumping over the nose or bouncing off the set takes the bearings out and hammers through the cams hard surface. Just my opinion.
I have not had that problem but I did tare the lobe face off on the lift side of the lobe that's from the stainless 2.400 intake valve.
210 on the seat would run low 6k.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
Among other things... Been down that road. Never again... but I see what he's saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.