No wake zone low speed miss

Notices

No wake zone low speed miss

Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by happy hours
I ordered a rebuild kit for carb from local speed shop and pick it up tomorrow. Carb only sat about a month while I was doing long block. It's a Vortex with roller lifters. ( 1999 was original motor). Timing is 8 deg btdc, at least that's where I put it when I dressed it. I can't recall what the total is, it is the stock preto lite distributor with weights,,Cap and rotor have about 100hrs on them. When I got home from work pulled spark plus out and they were fairly black sooty and smelled like fuel. No water on them at least best I could tell. PV is currently a 5 and plan on replacing it with that but may buy a couple others when I am picking up rebuild gasket kit.
What plugs ? Weights in a '99 stock distributor ? What intake gaskets and bolts did you use ?,
Old 12-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Before getting too worked up about the carb and ignition, check the manifolds/risers. Sounds like it's getting some water in from somewhere.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plugs are ac delco mr43lts. Yes, it's a volvo penta and srock distributor has mechinal advance. Long block came with cast iron intake already installed so no idea what gaskets are there. I removed a couple intake bolts to attach throttle cable bracket but torqued them and used sealer. Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't that put water in oil and not intake port? Oil appears to be clear and no milk shake.

Originally Posted by SB
What plugs ? Weights in a '99 stock distributor ? What intake gaskets and bolts did you use ?,
Old 12-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Before getting too worked up about the carb and ignition, check the manifolds/risers. Sounds like it's getting some water in from somewhere.
I thought he said the exhaust manifold were 1.5 years old and tested prior to install. If it was same set the eroded head was on, I'd think that would be first check, but........hoping for him it's something in setup.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Registered

Daily update, first off I checked my maintance records and the exhust is not 1.5 yrs old, they are 3.5 yrs old. Time flies. But when I did the long block I inspected them and they weren't terrible. ( am super anal about flushing ) but they are also GLM and I know some people hate them. After work tonight rebuilt carb but was dark so did t I stall it yet. Tested PV with hand vaccum pump and tested fine but I did it find the secondary metering plate was loose, like all the screws were not even snug . I could see some burnishing on the steel plate itself and some of the finish was bugged away , I assume from relative movement with the body. Hoping that was the issue ( seems like would allow fuel to go places besides thru the metering passages).
Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Registered

So I dropped it in the water this afternoon and carb rebuild didn't fix it. But had more chance to troubleshoot and brought more tools. While in a wide open part of ICW I set throttle at the setting where it chugged the worst and removed plug wires one at a time and when I got to # 7 no change. Had a timing light along and when I checked it the spark was intermittent on that cylinder at best. Pulled cap off and it looked like death. Wire brushed it as a bandaid and it ran smooth and had good spark according to the light. Cap and rotor are about a year old and have 160 hrs on them and don't know why they look so bad but I bet anew one fixes it.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Registered

That is some good old fashioned troubleshooting. Seems to be a lost art these days. Most guys seem to just change parts.

Great work!
Old 12-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats! KISS principle is always a good start!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Registered

Admittedly I am a bit of a dork and a engineer as my profession so throwing parts at stuff isn't in my nature. Not to say I dont do stupid stuff, I just do it slower and in methodological nature. Ha
Originally Posted by 1981Scarab
That is some good old fashioned troubleshooting. Seems to be a lost art these days. Most guys seem to just change parts.

Great work!