Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Overheating 350 in 1977 scarab 300 >

Overheating 350 in 1977 scarab 300

Notices

Overheating 350 in 1977 scarab 300

Old 12-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike Tkach the ps oil cooling was very restricted with rubber from the impellar off the pump, I am going to pull pump again but it must of been from previous owner. I am going to back flush everything I can before going back with it. are the gaskets on the risers reusable? oil change, oil filter relocation, and any other things that need attention. Thanks again for all the help from everyone. yes motors and everything is very clean. Hope to get some use out of it next season.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Would not reuse the gaskets plus I really think they are the wrong ones. You should have gaskets that let some or all of the water through from the manifolds to the risers. Really need a pic of your thermostat housing and hoses to determine.

Chris
Old 12-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Registered

You have the correct gaskets.

The SS plate is solid that goes between the gaskets.

If the riser are not hot but the manifolds (logs) are hot then pull the two hoses off of the logs and replace with clear reinforced and fire it up and see what you see.

There must be good water flow through the risers but not through the logs.

GL
Old 12-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

1981 I am saying you are wrong but are you sure you are right about the gasket. How does the water exit out of the log and out of the boat if it can not make it past that solid gasket. Here is a replacement set and they have open gaskets.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/inde...ducts_id=16415

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/search_2/...haust+manifold
Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Registered

I am 100% sure.

Look at the SS plate to the right of the log. That piece goes in between the Gaskets.

Virtually no water goes from the logs into the riser.

Water circulates through the logs.

Another water supply goes into the riser and that water then goes overboard.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Registered

I tried to pull the riser off the other motor manifold but I need a help and she wasn't home to verify the solid water jacket gasket is correct. I read about this style somewhere recently and the I believe it was the water that goes by the bypass on the thermostat goes thru the logs and back to below the thermostat to circulate thru motor to help heat the motor then there is another hose below the thermostat that goes to the riser to dump out exhaust. I have 4 hoses that are below the thermostat and 2 above the thermostat I will try to take a better pic and verify other motor this evening. 1981Scarb must have the same set up.

here is a link the the parts for that motor, may have to copy and paste it not sure how to make it live.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury...ts/1594_10.cfm

Last edited by Metz1234; 12-21-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered

I bore scoped the exhaust pipe after the riser down and expected to see the flapper/shutter in there and the only thing I saw was looked like a bolt running through the pipe about where it connects to the exhaust separator, I took some pics but I am not real good at posting pics, took an hour last time. Is the a shutter on both sides of the exhaust or just where the two come together? Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 PM
Registered

Mine has through transom exhaust and the flapper is in the transom exhaust pipes.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

WRONG GASKETS unless you have aftermarket go fast exhaust hoses / hose route pics are needed / check all coolers clean / check thermostat , folks say they will fail in open position fail safe safety . Ours even twin t stats have always failed closed solid / BTW run our marine motor with NO thermostat , no circulating pump = much happier / if you need t stat you could run 120 version / 81 scarab - if you do not have proper water flow thru critical parts in a high performance and or marine boat motor I can promise you and or others will blow a lot of motors headers manifolds ALL TO HELL

Last edited by hotrodford; 12-22-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered

The gaskets are correct for the Log manifold to the exhaust riser. There are two gaskets that look like they should pass water but they do NOT there is a SS solid plate between them.

If your talking about that gasket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.