Teague 825 EFI Vs Merc 525 Supercherged Stage 1 Whipple

Old 12-31-2016, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

5 seasons with whipples on my 525's done by Performance Marine (Saris Racing). Absolutely turn key. Nothing done to the valve train - no issues.

Yes, I did lose a drive, but I knew they were going to be a problem going in.

I get the idea of going with a motor built for a supercharger, but what are you going to do with the boat? if racing, it makes sense to me. If its a pleasure boat that you want to hammer once and a while, I think the stock 525 will hold up just fine without valve train work or pistons. If I were you, I'd worry more about the Bravos and put any extra money into Imco's.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Registered

Apexwarrior, ThAnks for the info... where is Performance Marine...what drives did you upgrade to and cost for your upgrades... This is just a pleasure boat... I'm looking for more mid range thrust ... right now my top speed with 4 people in the boat is appx: 72mph. If we're loaded up with more people and ice drinks etc then boat runs about 70mph. Really looking for more acceleration and top out at about 80/ 85mph would be cool.

Last edited by river22; 01-01-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Add more to my response
Old 01-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Has anybody dynoed multiple Whippled 525s? Some guys say around 750, some say 800+, I think Whipple says just under 800. Anybody have solid dyno numbers on more than one?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Performance Marine is in Bolton Landing NY.

In my opinion, bolting on a Whipple is the best and easiest way to get you to the mid 80's. My drives were stock XRs on a heavy Formula. Performance Marine rebuilt them 3 seasons ago after a Poker Run on a rough Lake Erie and so far so good, although I will not be surprised if/when I have another issue. The question for me has been am I better off rebuilding them every few years or stepping up and putting $35k into IMCOs? You will have to answer the same question.

My understanding is a 525 with a whipple makes 780 HP.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
Performance Marine is in Bolton Landing NY.

In my opinion, bolting on a Whipple is the best and easiest way to get you to the mid 80's. My drives were stock XRs on a heavy Formula. Performance Marine rebuilt them 3 seasons ago after a Poker Run on a rough Lake Erie and so far so good, although I will not be surprised if/when I have another issue. The question for me has been am I better off rebuilding them every few years or stepping up and putting $35k into IMCOs? You will have to answer the same question.

My understanding is a 525 with a whipple makes 780 HP.
How does the 353 run with that power? Just curious thanks.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

[QUOTE=river22;4514146]
Originally Posted by Eliminated572
The 3.3 kit on 525 will net plenty over 800HP. The old 2.3 kit makes 725

Eliminated572, The Whipple Upgrade is running appx: $18,000.00 The Teague Engine 825 EFI Cost $60,000.00 $$$
Seriously? How's he come up with that price?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by river22
Teague offers an 825 EFI High performance Engine Package with 825 HP, Displacement 509 Cubic Inches, 5600 - 6000 RPM, 91 Octane, with a 1 year Limited warranty. Or I can add a stage 1 Whipple to my Merc 525 HO. I'm not sure what my HP will be with the Whipple stage 1 upgrade. Does anyone know what hp I will get with the upgrade to the merc 525 and what type of performance? I am looking for some info on this to make a decision. I can sell my 525 and put the money into the 825 EFI from Teague.
This is what you get from a stage 1 upgrade from Whipple website. (25 HP)

Whipple Superchargers doesn't just do state of the art supercharger systems. Whipple, with years of engine calibration experience is also your performance calibration leader. The Whipple Stage 1 system is a computer recalibration that increases the maximum power by more than 25HP* and 30 pounds of torque*. Whipple also increases the low rpm power range for a decrease in plane time and a noticeable gain in acceleration. The factory rpm limiter is also increased, giving customers the ability to increase top speed MPH with proper propping. The stock RPM limit of 5400 is modified to 6000rpm where peak power ends.

Key features:

Hi-performance PCM calibration with MPH gains of 1-3mph**
Increased horsepower for increased top speed MPH
Increased low-speed torque for decreased plane time
Increased low, mid and high speed torque for better acceleration and throttle response
Increased spark at low and mid speeds for increased engine efficiency
6000 RPM limit vs. stock 5400 RPM limit giving increased propping range and increased horsepower
91 octane safe (RON+MON)/2
Stock idle, starting and drive-ability is maintained
Fully compatible with all Smartcraft equipped vessels
Custom calibrations available upon request

- See more at: https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind....j8o0TOvg.dpuf
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think he is comparing the ECM flash to the 825 Teague motor. I believe he is talking about the stage 1 whipple supercharger kit. They offer 2 stages. Stage 1 has the smaller intercooler.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...&product_id=56

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
This is what you get from a stage 1 upgrade from Whipple website. (25 HP)

Whipple Superchargers doesn't just do state of the art supercharger systems. Whipple, with years of engine calibration experience is also your performance calibration leader. The Whipple Stage 1 system is a computer recalibration that increases the maximum power by more than 25HP* and 30 pounds of torque*. Whipple also increases the low rpm power range for a decrease in plane time and a noticeable gain in acceleration. The factory rpm limiter is also increased, giving customers the ability to increase top speed MPH with proper propping. The stock RPM limit of 5400 is modified to 6000rpm where peak power ends.

Key features:

Hi-performance PCM calibration with MPH gains of 1-3mph**
Increased horsepower for increased top speed MPH
Increased low-speed torque for decreased plane time
Increased low, mid and high speed torque for better acceleration and throttle response
Increased spark at low and mid speeds for increased engine efficiency
6000 RPM limit vs. stock 5400 RPM limit giving increased propping range and increased horsepower
91 octane safe (RON+MON)/2
Stock idle, starting and drive-ability is maintained
Fully compatible with all Smartcraft equipped vessels
Custom calibrations available upon request

- See more at: https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind....j8o0TOvg.dpuf
Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=hogie roll;4515162]
Originally Posted by river22

Seriously? How's he come up with that price?
I think if you call around to top marine builders, and say I want a 800 Whipple motor from scratch, $60K is a number you will hear often if not more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.